Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by "Smiley, David W." <ds...@mitre.org> on 2011/11/18 06:17:39 UTC

[ANNOUNCEMENT] Second Edition of the First Book on Solr

Fellow Solr users,

I am proud to announce that the book "Apache Solr 3 Enterprise Search Server" is officially published!  This is the second edition of the first book on Solr by me, David Smiley, and my co-author Eric Pugh.  You can find full details about the book, download a free chapter, and purchase it here:
  http://www.packtpub.com/apache-solr-3-enterprise-search-server/book
It is also available through other channels like Amazon.  You can feel good about the purchase knowing that 5% of each sale goes to support the Apache Software Foundation.  If you buy directly from the publisher, then the basis of the percentage that goes to the ASF (and to me) is higher than if you buy it through other channels.

This book naturally covers the latest features in Solr as of version 3.4 like Result Grouping and Geospatial, but this is not a small update to the first book.  We have more experience with Solr and we've listened to reader feedback from the first edition.  No chapter was untouched: Faceting gets its own chapter, all search relevancy matters are discussed in one chapter, auto-complete approaches are all discussed together, much of the chapter on integration was rewritten to discuss newer technologies, and the first chapter was greatly streamlined.  Furthermore, each chapter has a tip in the introduction that advises readers in a hurry on what parts should be read now or later.  Finally, we developed a 2-page parameter quick-reference appendix that you will surely find useful printed on your desk.  In summary, we improved the existing content, and added about 25% more by page count.

Software, errata, and other information about this book and the previous edition is on our website:
  http://www.solrenterprisesearchserver.com/
We've been working hard on this book for the last 10 months and we hope it really helps saves you time and improves your search project!

	"Apache Solr 3 Enterprise Search Server" In Detail:

If you are a developer building an app today then you know how important a good search experience is.  Apache Solr, built on Apache Lucene, is a wildly popular open source enterprise search server that easily delivers powerful search and faceted navigation features that are elusive with databases.  Solr supports complex search criteria, faceting, result highlighting, query-completion, query spell-check, relevancy tuning, and more.

Apache Solr 3 Enterprise Search Server is a comprehensive reference guide for every feature Solr has to offer.  It serves the reader right from initiation to development to deployment.  It also comes with complete running examples to demonstrate its use and show how to integrate Solr with other languages and frameworks.

Through using a large set of metadata about artists, releases, and tracks courtesy of the MusicBrainz.org project, you will have a testing ground for Solr, and will learn how to import this data in various ways.  You will then learn how to search this data in different ways, including Solr's rich query syntax and "boosting" match scores based on record data.  Finally, we'll cover various deployment considerations to include indexing strategies and performance-oriented configuration that will enable you to scale Solr to meet the needs of a high-volume site.

Sincerely,

	David Smiley (primary author)	david.w.smiley@gmail.com
	Eric Pugh (co-author)		epugh@opensourceconnections.com

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Second Edition of the First Book on Solr

Posted by Jan Høydahl <ja...@cominvent.com>.
Congratulations!

Feel free to write a shorter version of the announcement text, suitable as a news teaser on the Solr site, and we'll try to update the site with new thumb and all.

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com