Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Johannes Dorn <jo...@codetrails.com> on 2017/03/01 14:56:21 UTC

Re: [eclipse] Including automated error reporting in the Eclipse tooling

Hi,

I am working for Codetrails on Ctrlflow Automated Error Reporting. Let
me address your questions below.

On 2017-02-27 16:49 (+0100), Robert Munteanu wrote:
> On Mon, 2017-02-27 at 16:47 +0100, Stefan Egli wrote:>
> > What comes to mind first is legal. And who would have access to the>
> > error>
> > reports at Ctrlflow/Codetrails?>

> As for access to the error reports, my understanding is that only>
> accounts explicitly allowed to access the error reports would get that>
> data.>

You can create user accounts that can review and act on error reports.
We call those users "reviewers".
They have full access to the error reports.

Users that submit error reports have access to their own reports only.

The Codetrails team has administrative access to the system in order to
do troubleshooting or provide technical support.
Thus, we also have access to the error reports.

If you are interested in what information is included in the error
reports, this is explained in detail at [1].
To summarize, users can but do not have to include their name and email
address.
They can also anonymize all stack trace elements that are not part of
Apache Sling or org.eclipse.*.

The server is hosted in Germany.

I hope this addresses your legal concerns.
As an example, Pivotal have included Ctrlflow Automated Error Reporting
in their Spring Tool Suite already; their legal disclaimer can be found
at [2]

I am not familiar with Apache Sling (yet, it looks great!), so I assume
you are interested in including Ctrlflow in your Eclipse plugins.
You could also include it in any other application as it is very easy to
extend configurations of logging frameworks like Logback, Log4J, or
java.util.logging [3] to send reports to your error reporting service.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Cheers
Johannes

[1]