Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Tech CodeWaggle <te...@codewaggle.com> on 2012/09/27 16:56:12 UTC

svn+ssh with TortoiseSVN logs in ok, PAM opens session, but then PAM immediately closes the session

Hi,

I'm having problems accessing an SVN repository using TortoiseSVN 1.7.8.

The repository is version 1.6.11 (r934486)

The SVN repository is on a CentOS 6.3 box with openssh 5.3p1:81.el6 and appears to be functioning correctly.

I can access the repository from another CentOS box with this command:
svn list svn+ssh://USER@xxx.xx.xx.xxx/var/svn/joetest

But when I attempt to browse the repository using TortiseSVN from a Win 7 workstation I'm unable to do so using the following path:
svn+ssh:// USER@xxx.xx.xx.xxx/var/svn/joetest

I receive the following error from TortoiseSVN:
Unable to connect to a repository at URL 'svn+ssh://USER at xxx dot xx dot xx dot xxx/var/svn/joetest'
To better debug SSH connection problems, remove the -q option from 'ssh' in the [tunnels] section of your Subversion configuration file.
Network connection closed unexpectedly

I'm able to login via SSH from the workstation using Putty.

The results are the same if I attempt access as root.

I've given ownership of the repository /var/svn/ to USER:USER and ran
chmod 2700 -R /var/svn/.

When I watch the log file using tail -fn 2000 /var/log/secure, I see the following each time TortiseSVN asks for the password and I submit it:
Sep 26 17:34:31 dev sshd[30361]: Accepted password for USER from xx.xxx.xx.xxx port 59101 ssh2
Sep 26 17:34:31 dev sshd[30361]: pam_unix(sshd:session): session opened for user USER by (uid=0)
Sep 26 17:34:31 dev sshd[30361]: pam_unix(sshd:session): session closed for user USER

So, I'm actually able to login, but the session is then closed immediately.

I looked into modifying the svnserve.conf, but as far as I can tell, it's not used when accessing the repository via svn+ssh, a private svnserve instance is created for each log in via this method.

I've spent a good amount of time looking through the docs and searching for answers, but no luck. Could this be caused by some settings that I'm missing?

I also posted a question on stackoverflow:
 <http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12606950/tortisesvn-svnssh-logs-in-ok-pam-opens-session-but-then-pam-immediately-close> http://stackoverflow​.com/questions/12606​950/tortisesvn-svnss​h-logs-in-ok-pam-ope​ns-session-but-then-​pam-immediately-clos​e

No help there so far.

Be Well,
Joe