Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Aurélien Bénel <au...@utt.fr> on 2014/10/25 16:06:20 UTC

Installing CouchDB 2.0 and SpiderMonkey 1.8.5 from source

Hi everyone,

I usually use packaged versions of CouchDB, but in order to help a friend of mine, I tried to install it from source (master HEAD) on CentOS 6.5  (the same distro as his).

For most of the dependencies, it was OK with `yum` (the packet manager).

But, on this distribution, `js-devel` was only at 1.7. So I tried to install SpiderMonkey 1.8.5 from source. I think it worked:

    $ js-config --includedir --libdir
    /usr/local/include
    /usr/local/lib

    $ ls /usr/local/include/js
    [...]
    jsapi.h
    [...]

    $] ls /usr/local/lib
    libmozjs185-1.0.a
    libmozjs185.so
    libmozjs185.so.1.0
    libmozjs185.so.1.0.0
    pkgconfig

Then I tried to `configure` CouchDB:

    ==> configuring couchdb in rel/couchdb.config
    ==> updating dependencies
    ==> b64url (get-deps)
    [...]
    Updating lager from {git,"https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/couchdb-lager.git",
                         {branch,"master"}}
    [...]
    ==> fauxton (update-deps)

This doesn't look really look like the output of a `configure` script, but it seems to reach the end with no error.

Then, I try to `make` it and problems pop out:

    ==> b64url (compile)
    ==> cassim (compile)
    ==> lager (compile)
    ==> couch_log (compile)
    ==> config (compile)
    ==> chttpd (compile)
    ==> couch (compile)
     Compiling /home/staff/couchdb/src/couch/priv/couch_js/main.c
     /home/staff/couchdb/src/couch/priv/couch_js/main.c:17:19: erreur: jsapi.h : Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type
     In file included from priv/couch_js/http.h:16,
                 from /home/staff/couchdb/src/couch/priv/couch_js/main.c:19:
     priv/couch_js/util.h:23: erreur: expected specifier-qualifier-list before ‘JSString’
    [...]

Any idea of what went wrong?

Regards,

Aurélien

RE: Installing CouchDB 2.0 and SpiderMonkey 1.8.5 from source

Posted by ju...@lisol.co.uk.
Hi Aurelien,

I tried to compile CouchDB on Centos 6.5 yesterday and ran into similar
dependency issues - so I put it off to try another day !

Justin

Posted by Aurélien Bénel <au...@utt.fr>.
> 1.8.5 from source directly into /usr/{lib|include}.

You're right Joan! This was indeed the problem.
Thank you very much :)
SpiderMonkey libs and includes were installed in `/usr/local/` (rather than on `/usr/`) where `make` couldn't find them.
Symbolic links fixed it.

Thanks to Joan, Alexander and Justin.

Regards,

Aurélien

Posted by Joan Touzet <wo...@apache.org>.
Alexander is spot on here. If this doesn't work for you, you could
try removing your system-wide 1.7.0 js library, then installing
1.8.5 from source directly into /usr/{lib|include}.

Posted by Alexander Shorin <kx...@gmail.com>.
Hi Aurélien,

--