Posted to dev@mynewt.apache.org by marko kiiskila <ma...@runtime.io> on 2017/01/17 21:07:42 UTC

sys/stats and sys/log

Hi,

at the moment it is not very easy to get rid of all code
related to logging and/or statistics.
I ran across this when trying to see how small I can
make an image while keeping BLE and OIC.

Therefore, I was going to create stub packages for
sys/stats and sys/log.

Then, within the app you can choose between a stub or
an actual implementation. We have this same model for
picking up implementation of console.

Alternative would be to make syscfg knobs for these.
However, I think I prefer the stub packages, I believe
that will make the code easier to read (less #ifdef's).

What do you guys think?

Re: sys/stats and sys/log

Posted by marko kiiskila <ma...@runtime.io>.
Ok, (mostly) done.

I named the full implementation and stub similarly to console.
I.e. sys/log is now under sys/log/full. And stats sys/stats/full.

Unfortunate side-effect of this is that the app dependencies
will have to adjusted.
Previously, app might not have even needed to explicitly list
sys/stats, as this gets brought in by net/nimble/host, for example.

Now, either sys/stats/full or sys/stats/stub should be picked in
the app pkg.yml file. And the same is true for sys/log.

I’ll make another sweep through the packages and try to make sure
that they compile, regardless of whether using stub or not. Most of
them should be ok by now, but I noticed few are still not.

Re: sys/stats and sys/log

Posted by will sanfilippo <wi...@runtime.io>.

Re: sys/stats and sys/log

Posted by Kevin Townsend <ke...@adafruit.com>.