Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org> on 2023/04/21 09:44:37 UTC

Dropping Java 8 support for the Sling Starter (was: [RT] Migrating the feature model tooling to Jakarta JSON)

Hi,

Changing subject to make sure we get enough attention. With Oak 1.50
requiring Java 11 it does not look like we can hold on to Java 8 for
much longer.

I filed https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-11840 to track
this.

If anyone sees a reason to keep supporting Java 8, please say so.

Note that this does not mean that the Sling bundles need to bump the
required version to Java 11, they can keep supporting Java 8 as long as
it is desired.

Thanks,
Robert

Re: Dropping Java 8 support for the Sling Starter (was: [RT] Migrating the feature model tooling to Jakarta JSON)

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 2023-04-21 at 11:44 +0200, Robert Munteanu wrote:
> I filed https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-11840 to track
> this.

Follow-ed up with
https://github.com/apache/sling-org-apache-sling-starter/pull/152

Posted by Konrad Windszus <kw...@apache.org>.
I created some follow up tickets for that

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-11843
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-11842
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-11841

Please comment directly on those.
Thanks,
Konrad

Posted by Konrad Windszus <kw...@apache.org>.
There was a similar discussion already at https://lists.apache.org/thread/6p86tqpldjj83zw3288ooht869yt99dr and back then we already kind of reached consensus that it is time to require Java 11 also for bundles nowadays.

Posted by Stefan Seifert <St...@diva-e.com.INVALID>.
makes sense, go ahead!