Posted to dev@apr.apache.org by Mladen Turk <mt...@mappingsoft.com> on 2001/09/29 20:13:30 UTC

[PROPOSAL] apr-luascript

Hi all,

I wish to propose a new library for apr-utils.

I've been working on many different projects, and there was almost no one
that didn't need some kind of user intervention. One of the obvious ones are
the 'config' files. The other is using Perl or shell scripts just to alter
the few lines of some 'makefile' or 'include'. Well neither Perl or shell is
available on the all targeted platforms, so we are (more or less) using
different scripting technologies on each platform that we support. I'm not
speaking here about apr or apr-util building process itself.

I'm using Lua (http://www.lua.org) for some time, and found that it's stable
and MOST of all portable. The language itself is build to be the embeddable
an in it's 4.1 alpha version is around 200K in source size, and it doesn't
use yacc, or whatever LARL.

I have the working Lua interpreter bounded inside apr that uses only apr*.h
to compile, and uses apr_file_* interface instead FILE.

The Lua licence itself is IMO acceptable to ASF.

Comments?

***
* Copyright (C) 1994-2001 TeCGraf, PUC-Rio.  All rights reserved.
*
* Permission is hereby granted, without written agreement and without
license
* or royalty fees, to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software and
its
* documentation for any purpose, including commercial applications, subject
* the following conditions:
*
*  - The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall appear in
all
*    copies or substantial portions of this software.
*
*  - The origin of this software must not be misrepresented; you must not
*    claim that you wrote the original software. If you use this software in
*    product, an acknowledgment in the product documentation would be
greatly
*    appreciated (but it is not required).
*
*  - Altered source versions must be plainly marked as such, and must not be
*    misrepresented as being the original software.
*
* The authors specifically disclaim any warranties, including, but not
limited
* to, the implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular
* purpose.  The software provided hereunder is on an "as is" basis, and the
* authors have no obligation to provide maintenance, support, updates,
* enhancements, or modifications.  In no event shall TeCGraf, PUC-Rio, or
the
* authors be held liable to any party for direct, indirect, special,
* incidental, or consequential damages arising out of the use of this
software
* and its documentation.
*
* The Lua language and this implementation have been entirely designed and
* written by Waldemar Celes Filho, Roberto Ierusalimschy and
* Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo at TeCGraf, PUC-Rio.
*
* This implementation contains no third-party code.
**/

MT.