Posted to user@zookeeper.apache.org by Andor Molnar <an...@cloudera.com.INVALID> on 2018/09/03 14:51:37 UTC

Re: Change zookeeper digest password

Hi Anthony,

First of all, ACLs relate to the data nodes and are part of the data tree,
so they're replicated across the cluster, so you don't have to set them on
each of every ZK server.

Second, there's no "user database" with digest auth method, so
authentication info is attached to the node if you set an ACL with "digest"
scheme. The node can be accessed if the user authenticates itself with the
same auth info which was set when node was created.

Node ACL is a list, so you basically can do two things: extending the list
with new auth info or overwriting it. Obviously, the latter means, that the
"old" user won't be able to access the node anymore. That's kind of
"updating the password".

Remember, that ACL checking is not recursive as described in the docs:
"Note also that an ACL pertains only to a specific znode. In particular it
does not apply to children. For example, if */app* is only readable by
ip:172.16.16.1 and */app/status* is world readable, anyone will be able to
read */app/status*; ACLs are not recursive."

https://zookeeper.apache.org/doc/current/zookeeperProgrammers.html#sc_ZooKeeperAccessControl

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Andor