Posted to dev@poi.apache.org by Nick Burch <ni...@alfresco.com> on 2012/06/30 20:18:45 UTC

Does anyone use the PDF versions of the website pages?

Hi All

Currently, the POI website is build with Apache Forrest, which allows us
to automatically generate PDF versions of all of our pages, alongside the
HTML version.

For example, as well as the HTML version of the component overview page:
    http://poi.apache.org/overview.html
There's also a downloadable PDF version:
    http://poi.apache.org/overview.pdf

Does anyone out there use these?

The reason for asking is that the way the project website gets published
needs to change by the end of December (the old box we deploy through is
being disabled), and changing the deployment route may also be a good
point to update how the site is built. A lot of Apache projects now use
the Apache CMS, and Markdown, which makes for quicker edits and allows for
easy contributrions of site fixes from non-committers. The current setup
is a little tricky to get setup, so it takes a while to do site changes
(which may well contribute to fewer of them happening...).

If we did switch to using markdown + the cms for the site, we'd get
quicker and simpler site builds, but we'd loose the PDF versions we get
from Forrset. The question is - would anyone miss them?

Nick

Re: Does anyone use the PDF versions of the website pages?

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@alfresco.com>.
On Mon, 2 Jul 2012, Yegor Kozlov wrote:
> I don't think that people use PDF versions much. As a first step we can
> delete them on the web site and see if there are any complains. We can
> also monitor 404 errors in httpd logs, at least count how many times
> people requested PDF content in a month.

I've disabled pdfs in the site build, and zapped the files on the site
rysnc source. (I believe they'll go from the real site within a day or so)

If someone could take a look at the weblogs later to see about pdf
requests, that'd be great!

Posted by Yegor Kozlov <ye...@dinom.ru>.
I don't think that people use PDF versions much. As a first step we
can delete them on the web site and see if there are any complains.
We can also monitor 404 errors in httpd logs, at least count how many
times people requested PDF content in a month.

I'm +1 to get rid from PDF on the POI web site.

Yegor

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On Jun 30, 2012, at 11:18 AM, Nick Burch wrote:

> Hi All
>
> Currently, the POI website is build with Apache Forrest, which allows us to automatically generate PDF versions of all of our pages, alongside the HTML version.
>
> For example, as well as the HTML version of the component overview page:
>   http://poi.apache.org/overview.html
> There's also a downloadable PDF version:
>   http://poi.apache.org/overview.pdf
>
> Does anyone out there use these?
>
> The reason for asking is that the way the project website gets published needs to change by the end of December (the old box we deploy through is being disabled), and changing the deployment route may also be a good point to update how the site is built. A lot of Apache projects now use the Apache CMS, and Markdown, which makes for quicker edits and allows for easy contributrions of site fixes from non-committers. The current setup is a little tricky to get setup, so it takes a while to do site changes (which may well contribute to fewer of them happening...).
>
> If we did switch to using markdown + the cms for the site, we'd get quicker and simpler site builds, but we'd loose the PDF versions we get from Forrset. The question is - would anyone miss them?

Another way of generating the PDFs would need to be used. So, it is not inconceivable that this may come back at a later date. Perhaps POI could contribute conversion to Word / Powerpoint tools for all CMS users.

I'm willing to do a major part of the conversion.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Michael <ja...@gmail.com>.
For what it's worth, I always use the html versions, and have never used
the PDF. PDF is great for documents where layout is critical (e.g. a
newsletter), but html is quicker and (in my opinion) better suited for
online software documentation.

I would not miss the PDF.

Kind regards,
Michael