Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by ram <ra...@netcore.co.in> on 2007/09/05 08:33:52 UTC

Is there a test on blacklisted nameservers

I am using SA 3.2.3 and very few spam get thru
But I can still see some spam with urls because the the urls are not yet
listed in uribls

I tried to do some analysis on my quarantine, I found atleast some
spammer domains have the same NS records.

Now in my spamassassin can I do a DNS check (on all domains in body-urls
or mail-from, reply-to etc)  to find their NS records and score them on
bad NS servers.
What is the risk of FP's because innocent DNS providers may see
themselves getting list

Thanks
Ram

Re: Is there a test on blacklisted nameservers

Posted by mouss <mo...@netoyen.net>.
ram wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-09-05 at 10:50 +0200, mouss wrote:
>

> But if his DNS points to your server and you dont host DNS for him, his
> domain will not get resolved. I could easily check for such domains
> then.

well. they can also hack a machine and use its real hostname. Note that
owned machine is not necessarily under administrative control of the DNS
manager.

Re: Is there a test on blacklisted nameservers

Posted by ram <ra...@netcore.co.in>.

Posted by Steve Freegard <st...@fsl.com>.
Hi,

Yet Another Ninja wrote:
> On 9/5/2007 5:27 PM, Marc Perkel wrote:
>>

>> mouss wrote:
>>>

>>> better show an example so that we can see.
>>> if the NS belongs to a spam organization, then it's ok. otherwise,
>>> just because a spammer configures his dns to point to my domain
>>> doesn't mean you can block me!
>>>

>> I have to say that the idea of having a blacklist of name servers used
>> by spammers is interesting. Something to investigate.
>>
> one, and its a good one, is already in use :-)
>
> uridnsbl        URIBL_SBL       sbl.spamhaus.org.       TXT

Yes - true, but the SBL lists the IP of the nameservers.

I think Ram has seen the same thing as me in the past, I've had stuff
that has slipped past the URIBL_* tests and upon investigation of the
FNs - the *domain name* of the nameservers for the referenced domain is
already listed in either SURBL or URIBL, so therefore if the URIBL_*
tests were expanded to lookup the nameservers hostnames, strip of the
domains and test those against the URIBL_* lists, then it might yield
some good results.

Cheers,
Steve.

Re: Is there a test on blacklisted nameservers

Posted by Yet Another Ninja <sa...@alexb.ch>.

Posted by Marc Perkel <ma...@perkel.com>.

Posted by mouss <mo...@netoyen.net>.