Posted to user@roller.apache.org by Steve McCain <s....@Bradford.ac.uk> on 2008/05/14 16:47:11 UTC

authenticating w.bloggar user

I have ldap authentication working for users logging on directly from
the roller login page
but accessing blogs from w.bloggar via /roller/roller-services/xmlrpc
still needs the user's
database user/password combination.
How can I configure xmlrpc access to use ldap authentication?

thanks

Steve

Re: authenticating w.bloggar user

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 10:47 AM, Steve McCain <s....@bradford.ac.uk> wrote:
> I have ldap authentication working for users logging on directly from the
> roller login page
> but accessing blogs from w.bloggar via /roller/roller-services/xmlrpc still
> needs the user's
> database user/password combination.
> How can I configure xmlrpc access to use ldap authentication?

I think you've hit a limitation of Roller. For web services, Roller
checks the password sent by the client against the password stored in
the database. If you are authenticating against LDAP, that will not
work for you. I just filed an ISSUE for this:

    https://issues.apache.org/roller/browse/ROL-1718

- Dave

Re: authenticating w.bloggar user

Posted by Phillip Rhodes <mi...@cpphacker.co.uk>.
Steve McCain wrote:
> Philip,
>
> Thanks for the comments. Sorry I should have mentioned that I'm using
> Roller 4.0
>
> I'm hoping there is a simple setting somewhere to use ldap
> authentication for xmlrpc
> clients.

I'm not aware of anything like that.  AFAIK, the whole point of the
new UserManager work was exactly to enable externalizing that aspect
of authentication.  I suppose that in the future Roller might ship
with different UM implementations are are pre-geared for different
scenarios, then it could be a simple setting to toggle which
implementation is used at runtime.  But as far as I know at the moment
(and Dave or somebody correct me if I'm wrong, please) the only way
to do it now would be to write a custom UserManager and rebuild
Roller from source with your UM wired in.

TTYL,

--
Phillip Rhodes
Chief Architect - OpenQabal