Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Stack <st...@duboce.net> on 2018/08/07 19:05:45 UTC

Git repos

We recently asked INFRA for two new repositories: hbase-operator-tools
and hbase-connectors. INFRA noted that this is a self-service task and
forwarded us to https://gitbox.apache.org.

After setting up the repos, it was plain that gitbox repos are not
like our git-view mirror of svn repos as we currently have; they are
connected to github and all github facilities such as PR support and
pushing from github are supported (compare
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=hbase.git or our thirdparty
repo https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=hbase-thirdparty.git to
the new hbase-connectors repositories, available here,
https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=hbase-connectors.git;a=tree, but
also via github here https://github.com/apache/hbase-connectors).

I asked Infra (Chris Lambertus) what's the story, how it relates to
our current git:

"Sure you can have repos on both systems (git-wip/svn and GitBox), as
long as they are different. For instance you wouldn't want
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=hbase.git AND
https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=hbase.git (which doesn't exist,
just using for an example). If you'd like to consolidate everything
onto GitBox, then get a vote on your ML and submit a ticket with the
vote results as well as any detail. Eventually, we'll be migrating
everything to GitBox from git-wip.

"GitBox enables writeable GitHub repos, so you can utilize GitHub's
tools (PRs, merging, etc) while still being able to use GitBox as a
remote."

This is interesting. In HBASE-21002, a few of us have 'fun' playing
with the available facility which includes comments in github echoing
as comments in JIRA.

As our Sean Busbey notes up in one of the repo-creation JIRAs, as a
community, we don't "support" PRs as part of our current flow.

With our new repos, we have an opportunity to play with the new
tooling without having to change core behaviors. If we like what we
see, we might want to consider amending our patch-attached-to-JIRA
axiom at some point down the road (or of asking to move git core to
gitbox sooner rather than later).

St.Ack

Re: Git repos

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Tue, Aug 14, 2018 at 2:34 PM Josh Elser <el...@apache.org> wrote:

> +1

Agree. Thanks Josh.

Re: Git repos

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.
+1

Re: Git repos

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
INFRA (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-16886) made the change
so now github comments go to issues@ instead of to dev@.

Each github comment still shows as a JIRA comment. You all good w/ that?
Means there is the mail to issues@ each time JIRA comments are updated by
github AND a separate message to issues@ because of the github update.
INFRA can disable github comments being added as JIRA comments (but I like
this) or they can have the mail go to the JIRA "worklog".

Any opinions? Perhaps we run with it as is for a while and file new INFRA

Re: Git repos

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Re: Git repos

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.

Re: Git repos

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org>.

Re: Git repos

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Tue, Aug 7, 2018 at 12:28 PM Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org> wrote:

> We can play in this sandbox, and if the majority of contributors and
> developers wish to switch to a GitHub-like model, then we should migrate
> everything. The only undesirable outcome in my view is a mix of processes
> where for some repos we are doing a thing and for core we are still doing
> patch-on-JIRA.

Agree.

Re: Git repos

Posted by "张铎 (Duo Zhang)" <pa...@gmail.com>.
It will be great if we can use GitHub. It will greatly reduce the
difficulty to contribute to HBase.

Re: Git repos

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

--