Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Lars Nielsen Lind <so...@tidtilforandring.dk> on 2005/08/28 09:03:51 UTC

Inference engines (semantic web services)

Hi.

Are there any inference engines when using Apache Axis web services from
Linux server?

Thanks,

Lars Nielsen Lind

Re: Inference engines (semantic web services)

Posted by "NJ Rogers, Learning and Research Technology" <Ni...@bristol.ac.uk>.
I haven't seen any attempts to develop inference engines from the direction
of the SOAP community.

But there are various (in progress) attempts to offer soap services on top
of inference engines (for example the Jena
(<http://jena.sourceforge.net/>)and Sesame developers
(<http://www.openrdf.org/>)). You may want to query the email lists/forums
for these. And also (if you haven't already) see the Semantic Web Services
Interest Group activity <http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/swsig/>.

[
I had a go at backing Axis with Sesame myself as part of the SWAD-E
<http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/Europe/> project a year or so back.
At that time we were prototyping a Thesaurus Web Service. The prototype is
called DREFT (see <http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/Europe/reports/thes/8.7/>). We
offered it as a SOAP  web service (using Axis) and backed it with thesaurus
data encoded in RDF (SKOS). We used Sesame's database storage, inferencing
and query facilities for the rdf data.
Some points to note:
- Our prototype's WSDL is at
<http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/Europe/reports/thes/api/wsdl/Service.wsdl>
- we used an rdf/encoded configuration for the web service because we were
very interested in the relationship between the RDF data model and the SOAP
encoding data model for web service data serialisation (see report on this
at
<http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/Europe/reports/xml_graph_serialization_report/>)
.
- our DREFT demo is no longer live! But the software is downloadable
(<http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/Europe/reports/thes/dreft/>).
- Note also the impact of the SPARQL (RDF query) standard will be having -
and the way that it can/will/might reside in practice alongside SOAP/REST
services. There are some unanswered questions there. For example, one
question I (regretfully) didn't get to investigate is to what extent is it
possible to offer generic SPARQL querying of a semantic web service over
SOAP. And also to investigate doc/literal configurations for a semantic web
service
]

HTH
Nikki Rogers

--On Sunday, August 28, 2005 09:03:51 AM +0200 Lars Nielsen Lind
<so...@tidtilforandring.dk> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Are there any inference engines when using Apache Axis web services from
> Linux server?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Lars Nielsen Lind

NJ Rogers, Technical Researcher
(Semantic Web Applications Developer)
Institute for Learning and Research Technology (ILRT)
Email:nikki.rogers@bristol.ac.uk
Tel: +44(0)117 9287113 (Direct)
Tel: +44(0)117 9287193 (Office)