Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Monty Ree <ch...@hotmail.com> on 2006/10/17 09:30:01 UTC

How to detect this spam..

Hello..

I have received lots of spam mails like below...

S B N S.P K IS BLOWING UP ON HEAVY PR CAMPAIGNS!
WATCH S B N S.P K TRADE ON TUESDAY OCTOBER 17!

So I would like to make a rule to detect spam which use blank for each
characters(over 3 characters) like below..

S(blank) B(blank) N(blank)

Anyone who can make this rule?

Thanks...

고.. 감.. 도.. 사.. 랑.. 만.. 들.. 기.. MSN 러브
http://www.msn.co.kr/love/

Re: How to detect this spam..

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@verizon.net>.
Monty Ree wrote:
> Hello..
>
> I have received lots of spam mails like below...
>
> S B N S.P K IS BLOWING UP ON HEAVY PR CAMPAIGNS!
> WATCH S B N S.P K TRADE ON TUESDAY OCTOBER 17!
>
> So I would like to make a rule to detect spam which use blank for each
> characters(over 3 characters) like below..
>
> S(blank) B(blank) N(blank)
>
> Anyone who can make this rule?
Here's the regex that would do it. I've also made it caps-specific to
try to avoid FP cases. It may still FP on some "text message" style
abbreviated text, but I can't think of one off the top of my head that
would hit. But things like "Hi R U Mike" come pretty close.

/(?:[A-Z] ){3}/

Re: *****SPAM***** How to detect this spam..

Posted by "M.Lewis" <ca...@cajuninc.com>.
Monty Ree wrote:
> Hello..
>
> I have received lots of spam mails like below...
>
> S B N S.P K IS BLOWING UP ON HEAVY PR CAMPAIGNS!
> WATCH S B N S.P K TRADE ON TUESDAY OCTOBER 17!
>
> So I would like to make a rule to detect spam which use blank for each
> characters(over 3 characters) like below..
>
> S(blank) B(blank) N(blank)
>
> Anyone who can make this rule?
>

> Thanks...

> 고.. 감.. 도.. 사.. 랑.. 만.. 들.. 기.. MSN 러브
> http://www.msn.co.kr/love/

70_sare_stocks.cf

http://www.rulesemporium.com/rules/70_sare_stocks.cf

HTH,
Mike

--

 Stock item: We shipped it once before, and we can do it again, probably.
  01:30:01 up 6 days,  2:21,  8 users,  load average: 0.19, 0.12, 0.09

 Linux Registered User #241685  http://counter.li.org

Re: How to detect this spam..

Posted by "Daryl C. W. O'Shea" <sp...@dostech.ca>.
Jonas Eckerman wrote:

> *If* the system is set up to use the SPF plugin *and* enable/allow user
> rules, it should still be possible for an end user to "whitelist_from_spf".

You don't need to enable user rules for whitelist_from_spf, or any other
whitelist method, to work.

Daryl

Re: How to detect this spam..

Posted by "John D. Hardin" <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Thu, 19 Oct 2006, Jonas Eckerman wrote:

> Come to think of it, it *might* be a good idea for the official ruleset to include:
>
> ifplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::SPF
> whitelist_from_spf *@spamassassin.apache.org
> endif

+1

--
 John Hardin KA7OHZ    ICQ#15735746    http://www.impsec.org/~jhardin/
 jhardin@impsec.org    FALaholic #11174    pgpk -a jhardin@impsec.org

Re: How to detect this spam..

Posted by Jonas Eckerman <jo...@frukt.org>.
Jo Rhett wrote:

>>> You can only exclude the mailing list if you're running SA from
>>> procmail or .forward or something like that.

>> No. You can exclude it in other situations as well.

> I was referring to the knobs available for tweaking by an end user.

Ah. Yes, that limits the possibilities. I have a tendancy to see things from an admin or programmers perspective.

*If* the system is set up to use the SPF plugin *and* enable/allow user rules, it should still be possible for an end user to "whitelist_from_spf".

Come to think of it, it *might* be a good idea for the official ruleset to include:

ifplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::SPF
whitelist_from_spf *@spamassassin.apache.org
endif

Regards
/Jonas

--
Jonas Eckerman, FSDB & Fruktträdet
http://whatever.frukt.org/

Re: How to detect this spam..

Posted by Jo Rhett <jr...@netconsonance.com>.
Jonas Eckerman wrote:
> Jo Rhett wrote:
>> You can only exclude the mailing list if you're running SA from
>> procmail or .forward or something like that.
>
> No. You can exclude it in other situations as well.
>
>> Usually it's running on the MX hosts.
>
> We're using SA on our MX host, daemonized in MIMEDefang (a milter).
> We're excluding SPF verified mail from "*@*.apache.org", as well as mail
> from "209.237.227.199" (hermes.apache.org), from the SA test.
>
> Just because some software running in some MX hosts can't do this kind
> of thing, it doesn't mean that no software in MX hosts can.

I'm sorry, I guess I should have rephrased that to say that "unless you
have root access..."  Obviously anyone with root access can accomplish
anything they want.  Duh.  That's an obvious in any situation.

I was referring to the knobs available for tweaking by an end user.

--
Jo Rhett
Network/Software Engineer
Net Consonance

Re: How to detect this spam..

Posted by Jonas Eckerman <jo...@frukt.org>.

Re: How to detect this spam..

Posted by Bob McClure Jr <bo...@bobcatos.com>.
On Tue, Oct 17, 2006 at 09:56:13PM -0700, Jo Rhett wrote:
> On Oct 17, 2006, at 6:53 PM, John D. Hardin wrote:
> >Anyone who runs the SA mailing list through SA deserves what they
> >get... :)
>
> You can only exclude the mailing list if you're running SA from
> procmail or .forward or something like that.  I haven't seen a
> company (or individual actually) who still does this in a long time.
> Usually it's running on the MX hosts.

Hmm, I and my three clients must be living in the backwaters.  We run
SA out of procmail.  Per-user Bayes, too.  Works fine.

> So given that scenario, what do you perceive as the problem?
>
> --
> Jo Rhett
> Senior Network Engineer
> Network Consonance

Cheers,
bob@bobcatos.com             http://www.bobcatos.com
"Where you go in the hereafter depends on what you were after here."
  - Thanks to Graffiti, 2 March 2004

Re: How to detect this spam..

Posted by Jo Rhett <jr...@netconsonance.com>.

RE: How to detect this spam..

Posted by "John D. Hardin" <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Wed, 18 Oct 2006, Christopher Martin wrote:

> Also, be careful about putting samples out of spam in your mails.
> Sometimes people might actually pick you up as the spam, and,
> potentially worse, train their Bayesian filters to exclude you,
> automatically.

Anyone who runs the SA mailing list through SA deserves what they
get... :)

--
 John Hardin KA7OHZ    ICQ#15735746    http://www.impsec.org/~jhardin/
 jhardin@impsec.org    FALaholic #11174    pgpk -a jhardin@impsec.org
 key: 0xB8732E79 - 2D8C 34F4 6411 F507 136C  AF76 D822 E6E6 B873 2E79
  ...the Fates notice those who buy chainsaws...
                                              -- www.darwinawards.com
 14 days until Halloween

RE: How to detect this spam..

Posted by Christopher Martin <ch...@ebit.com.au>.
The regex would be:

[a-zA-Z]\s[a-zA-Z]\s[a-zA-z]\s

So, (IIRC) the rule could be:

body   LOCAL_GAPPY_WORDS          	/[a-zA-Z]\s[a-zA-Z]\s[a-zA-z]\s/
score  LOCAL_GAPPY_WORDS	2

Try it with a low score to start with. I use the LOCAL_ prefix for any rules
I put into local.cf.

But, I am sure that the Rules or Rules DeJure pack would include a rule
about this. I use these from FreeBSD ports, so I would expect there would be
a apt-get/yum equivalent for the Linux users out these.

If anything, try and find the rule that covers this and then up its score in
local.cf.