Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Derek Hohls <DH...@csir.co.za> on 2002/02/05 07:48:26 UTC

DOCBOOK and Cocoon2 - Example needed!

Does anyone have a quickstart guide to using DocBook stylesheets under
Cocoon 2,
perhaps with a 'tried and tested' example?

I have a previous application which worked under Cocoon 1.8 and now
does not
under C2, and I am trying to see where it is failing.  Having something
that is working
would be a good basis for comparison :-)

Thanks
Derek

Re: DOCBOOK and Cocoon2 - Example needed!

Posted by Yann Secq <Ya...@lifl.fr>.
Erik Stunkat wrote:

> Hi Yann, see the log files in: \tomcat\webapps\cocoon\WEB-INF\logs

yes, I looked at them but didn't find any errors :-(

> they should give you some hints or try xalan to convert your xml to pdf with
> the stylesheets to find the error.

I have tried to do that : the xml -> xsl:fo translation seems
to work, but when I try to use fo2pdf to generate the PDF it fails !
(using xalan and the command line transformation)

I tried then to use cocoon to do the last transformation :

    <map:match pattern="docbook/testfo">
      <map:generate src="docs/samples/docbook/test.fo"/>
      <map:serialize type="fo2pdf"/>
    </map:match>

Sorry for the dump : here is access.log

INFO    (2002-02-06) 10:11.27:453   [access] (/cocoon/testfo)
HttpProcessor[8080][4]/CocoonServlet: 'testfo' Processed by Apache
Cocoon 2.1-
dev in 28 milliseconds.
DEBUG   (2002-02-06) 10:11.38:126   [access] (/cocoon/docbook/testfo)
HttpProcessor[8080][4]/AbstractEnvironment: Changing Cocoon context(si
temap.xmap) to prefix()
DEBUG   (2002-02-06) 10:11.38:126   [access] (/cocoon/docbook/testfo)
HttpProcessor[8080][4]/AbstractEnvironment:       from context(file:/s
hared/java/applications/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.1/bin/./../webapps/cocoon/)
and prefix()
DEBUG   (2002-02-06) 10:11.38:126   [access] (/cocoon/docbook/testfo)
HttpProcessor[8080][4]/AbstractEnvironment:       at URI docbook/testf
DEBUG   (2002-02-06) 10:11.38:127   [access] (/cocoon/docbook/testfo)
HttpProcessor[8080][4]/AbstractEnvironment: New context is file:/share
d/java/applications/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.1/webapps/cocoon/
DEBUG   (2002-02-06) 10:11.38:160   [access] (/cocoon/docbook/testfo)
HttpProcessor[8080][4]/AbstractEnvironment: Resolving 'docs/samples/do
cbook/test.fo' in context
'file:/shared/java/applications/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.1/webapps/cocoon/'
DEBUG   (2002-02-06) 10:11.38:161   [access] (/cocoon/docbook/testfo)
HttpProcessor[8080][4]/AbstractEnvironment: Resolved to 'file:/shared/
java/applications/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.1/webapps/cocoon/docs/samples/docbook/test.fo'

So everything seems to work nicely, but I never get any answers
from my HTTP request ...

> Do you have images in your xml?

No, I start slowly :) I have joined the document in attachment
(and the XSL:FO document generated by xalan).

Tahnks,yann.

--
  / Yann SECQ            Equipe SMAC           secq@lifl.fr \
| Multi-Agent Systems Modeling & Agent Oriented Programming |

RE: DOCBOOK and Cocoon2 - Example needed!

Posted by Erik Stunkat <er...@poet.de>.
Hi Erik, I have followed your instructions and it worked fined for HTML
output !
Anyway, I have some problems with pdf generation :
- I'm now waiting since 20 minutes and nothing is coming (but my CPU is far
from sleeping :)

My example isn't terrible : it is the one that is distributed with the
debian docbook-xml package, so I don't see why it should take so much time.

Have you encountered such behavior ? Anyone on the list has similar
experiences
with Cocoon2 and Norman Walsh stylesheets for docbook ?

Thanks, yann.

Hi Yann,

see the log files in:
\tomcat\webapps\cocoon\WEB-INF\logs

they should give you some hints or try xalan to convert your xml to pdf with
the stylesheets to find the error.

Do you have images in your xml?

erik

Re: DOCBOOK and Cocoon2 - Example needed!

Posted by Yann Secq <Ya...@lifl.fr>.

Posted by Erik Stunkat <er...@poet.de>.
Hi,

I use Docbook DTD 4.1 and the stylesheets for xsl from Norman Walsh.

You need to do:

declare the Public Identifier in CatalogManger.properties

catalogs=C:/web/tomcat/webapps/cocoon/stylesheets/docbookxml/docbook.cat

Use the Public Identifier in your xml file:

<!DOCTYPE book PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.1.2//EN"
                    "http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.0/docbookx.dtd"

Edit the sitemap.xml:

<map:match pattern="ess.html">
    <map:generate src="docs/samples/ess/ess.xml"/>
    <map:transform src="stylesheets/docbook/html/docbook.xsl"/>
    <map:serialize type="html"/>
   </map:match>

you can also edit the samples.xml:

<sample name="ess" href="ess.html">
    	should start ess xml conversion
   	</sample>

Copy your xml files to docs/samples/ess/ess.xml
and the xsl stylesheets to stylesheets/docbook/html...

So it should work now, otherwise see the log files for errors.

The same works with fo and pdf creation, then you need the fo directory from
the stylesheets.

cu

erik