Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Gavin McDonald <gm...@apache.org> on 2020/04/18 14:21:34 UTC

Migration of Hadoop labelled nodes to new dedicated Master

Hi All,

A couple of months ago, I wrote to a few project private lists mentioning
the need to migrate Hadoop labelled nodes (H0-H21) over to a new dedicated
Jenkins Master [1] (a Cloudbees Client Master.).

I'd like to revisit this now that I have more time to dedicate to getting
this done. However, keeping track across multiple mailing lists,
separate conversations that spring up in various places is cumbersome and
not realistic. To that end, I have created a new specific mailing list
dedicated to the migrations of these nodes, and the projects that use them,
over to the new system.

(and this will be the first post to it). Previous discussions were on the
private PMC lists, (there was some debate about that but I wanted the PMCs
initially to be aware of the change,) this new list is public and archived.

This email is BCC'd to 13 projects dev lists [2] determined by the https:/
hadoop.apache.org list of Related projects, minus Cassandra whom already
have their own dedicated client master [3] and I added Yetus as I think
they cross collaborate with many Hadoop based projects. If anyone thinks a
project is missing, or should not be on the list, let me know.

What I would like from each community, is to decide who is going to help
with their project in performing these migrations - ideally 2 or 3 folks
who use the current builds.a.o regularly. Those folks should then subscribe
to the new dedicated hadoop-migrations@infra.apache.org mailing lists as
soon as possible so we can get started.

About the current setup - and I hope this answers previously asked
questions on private lists - the new dedicated master is a Cloudbees Client
Master 2.204.3.7-rolling. It is not the same setup as the current Jenkins
master on builds.a.o - it is not intended to be. It is more or less a
'clean install' in that I have not installed over 500 plugins as is the
case on builds.a.o , I would rather we install plugins as we find we need
them. So yes, there may be some features missing - the point of having
people sign up to the new list is to find out what those are, get them
installed, and get your builds to at least the same state they are in
currently.

We have 2 nodes on there currently for testing, as things progress we can
transfer over a couple more, projects can start to migrate their jobs over
at any time they are happy , until done. We also need to test auth - the
master; and its nodes will be restricted to just Hadoop + Related projects
(which is important this list of related projects is correct). No longer
will other projects be able to hop on to Hadoop nodes, and no longer will
Hadoop related projects be able to hop onto other folks nodes. This is a
good thing, and may encourage some providers to donate a few more VMs for
dedicated use.

For now then, decide who will help with this process, and sign up to the
new mailing list, and lets get started!

Note I am NOT subscribed to any of your dev lists, so replies please cc the
new list. and I will await your presence there to get started.

Thanks all.

Gavin McDonald (ASF Infra)

[1] - https://ci-hadoop.apache.org
[2] -
hadoop,chukwa,avro,ambari,hbase,hive,mahout,pig,spark,submarine,tez,zookeeper,yetus
[3] - https://ci-cassandra.apache.org

Re[2]: Migration of Hadoop labelled nodes to new dedicated Master

Posted by Dmitry Grinenko <dg...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.
Hi Zoltan,

You information is really useful.

While i would definitely need Jenkins for such things as automatic pull
request linking to the jira i would like to give a shot for github
actions and try them and decide what is better.
It's like green/red is enough for us, but with the possibility to check
the test report (no need to publish it anywhere)

One question is - how to access the configuration section for the ASF
GitHub project?  Is there any doc or i need some special permissions?

Thanks in advance

Posted by Zoltan Haindrich <ki...@rxd.hu>.
Hey Dmitry!

Re[4]: Migration of Hadoop labelled nodes to new dedicated Master

Posted by Gavin McDonald <gm...@apache.org>.
Hi Dmitry,

Re: [DISCUSS] Migrating HBase to new CI Master (was Re: Migration of Hadoop labelled nodes to new dedicated Master)

Posted by Gavin McDonald <ip...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Apr 30, 2020 at 10:10 PM Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org> wrote:

> Can we please bulk grant all HBase committers setup permissions as a
> starting point? Presuming there are documented steps the PMC can do
> incremental updates as we vote in new committers.

Yes, perhaps you missed my earlier mail where I said I have fixed it for
all of HBase.

HTH

Gav...

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gavin McDonald <gm...@apache.org>.
Hi !

I believe my fix for Nick has fixed it for all of HBase, please check

Gav...

Posted by "张铎 (Duo Zhang)" <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "张铎 (Duo Zhang)" <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gavin McDonald <ip...@gmail.com>.
Hi Nick,

On Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 7:49 PM Nick Dimiduk <nd...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi Gavin,
>
> I'd like to get started by copying over our nightly job to run on the new
> master. I've accessed ci-hadoop.apache.org and find that I'm able to log
> in
> with my Apache ID. However, I don't seem to have permissions to create a
> new job. Can you please grant me appropriate karma?

Oops, I believe I have fixed that now, please test.

> Next question is with migrating itself. Is it possible for you to restore
> the current job XML into a job on new master? This preferable vs. us
> attempting to manually define the job via the UI. The job in question is
> https://builds.apache.org/job/HBase%20Nightly/

Good question, I'll need to check into that, as I'm unsure if the xml
configs
are compatible. And; even if they are, there are other things associated
with
a job other than its xml config, such as views. They may also refer to
plugins
of differing versions than is available on the Cloudbees masters.

I think it might pose issues if we just copy an xml job config as is, but
I'm checking
on it.

Thanks

Gav...

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@apache.org>.
Hi Gavin,

Posted by Zoltan Haindrich <ki...@rxd.hu>.
Hey Gavin!

Sorry for not replying back...I forgot to write back...

For Hive we can just copy the existing Hive-Precommit job over to the new place.
Actual testing happens outside of builds.apache.org - on a set of cloud nodes - the job provides a way to keep track of it from the usual location.

And as such we can't just move it and let running the jobs there and start at the new place as well - it could be probably done on the weekend..

There is one thing which Hive-Precommit relies on - and it's the Precommit-Admin job; I don't know if it will be retained in the new jenkins instance; I don't yet see
anything like that...

As a matter of fact right now I'm working on rebuilding this stuff which will most probably also move out hive precommit runs from the asf infra - it will run a small
jenkins instance in the cloud to service these precommit runs based on github PR..or at least that's how I imagine things going forward...

cheers,
Zoltan

Posted by Zoltan Haindrich <ki...@rxd.hu>.
Hey Gavin!

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@apache.org>.
Hi Gavin,

Posted by Gavin McDonald <gm...@apache.org>.
Hi All,

Posted by Gavin McDonald <gm...@apache.org>.
Hi All,

Posted by Gavin McDonald <gm...@apache.org>.
Hi All,

Posted by Gavin McDonald <gm...@apache.org>.
Hi All,

Posted by Gavin McDonald <gm...@apache.org>.
Hi All,

Posted by Gavin McDonald <gm...@apache.org>.
Hi All,

Posted by Gavin McDonald <gm...@apache.org>.
Hi All,

Posted by Gavin McDonald <gm...@apache.org>.
Hi All,

Posted by Gavin McDonald <gm...@apache.org>.
Hi All,

Posted by Gavin McDonald <gm...@apache.org>.
Hi All,

Posted by Gavin McDonald <gm...@apache.org>.
Hi All,

Posted by Gavin McDonald <gm...@apache.org>.
Hi All,

Posted by Gavin McDonald <gm...@apache.org>.
Hi All,

Posted by Trevor Grant <tr...@gmail.com>.
Since we're not really doing anything with Hadoop anymore should we just
ask to be dropped front his thread?

Or does someone want to step up and make sure the old MR stuff maintains
compatibility with this?

Posted by Gavin McDonald <gm...@apache.org>.
Hi All,