Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Harry Douglass, Jr." <h....@verizon.net> on 2005/02/05 23:56:37 UTC

Java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: listeners.ContextListener

Hello,

When my Tomcat 5 server is started, it gets a SEVERE error in the output
which states:

SEVERE:  Error configuring application listener of class
listeners.ContextListener

Java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:  listeners.ContextListener

SEVERE: Error configuring application listener of class
listerners.SessionListener

 Java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:  listeners.SessionListener

SEVERE: Skipped installing application listeners due to previous error(s).

Can anyone help with why this is occurring everytime I start the Tomcat 5
server.

Thanks in advance,

Harry

Re: Java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: listeners.ContextListener

Posted by Mark Shifman <ma...@yale.edu>.
I had the same thing happen to me the other day.  My listener stopped
working as did my whole web app and it had been working
fine for months.

Look in /WEB-INF/classes and see if anything was compiled.  I added a
bad jar to my classpath and nothing compiled.  When I
removed the jar (which happened to be a nightly build of
commons-dbutils) things worked again.  When I put the release version
of the jar on the classpath things worked fine.

Posted by "Harry Douglass, Jr." <h....@verizon.net>.
Unfortunately, I am still getting this error even with adding this tag to my
web.xml file:

<listener>
  <listener-class>listeners.ContextListener</listener-class>
</listener>

I verified that I am using the correct DTD schema:
<!DOCTYPE web-app

But, I am still getting this application error right when it is deploying my
project on the server container:

INFO: Deploying web application archive myLogin.war
Feb 6, 2005 1:13:17 PM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
SEVERE: Error configuring application listener of class
listeners.ContextListener
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: listeners.ContextListener
Feb 6, 2005 1:13:17 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext
listenerStart
SEVERE: Skipped installing application listeners due to previous error(s)
Feb 6, 2005 1:13:17 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext start
SEVERE: Error listenerStart
Feb 6, 2005 1:13:17 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext start
SEVERE: Context startup failed due to previous errors
Feb 6, 2005 1:13:17 PM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log

Any more suggestions?

Thanks,
Harry