Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Skye Poier Nott <sk...@F4.ca> on 2008/03/20 20:56:08 UTC

mod_proxy performance with apache 2.2

(Moved from users@ list as recommended)

Hi,

I am doing some load testing on a reverse proxy with apache 2.2 +
mod_proxy (no caching) and I'm getting terrible throughput, I was
wondering if anyone had a suggestion.

I have the following test network, all on gigabit ethernet:

1 origin server -> 2 mod_proxy servers -> 4 client simulators (flood)
doing round-robin on the proxies

The origin and proxy servers are configured with name-based virtual
hosts, the proxy servers with config containing 100 of these:

<VirtualHost *:80>
        ServerName w0099.example.com
        ProxyPass / http://10.100.10.XX:80/w0099/
        ProxyPassReverse / http://10.100.10.XX:80/w0099/
</VirtualHost>

When I start up flood on the client simulators (250 clients each), I
only get about 4 Mbit/sec out of the origin server!  I've tried
twiddling all the settings in mod_proxy to no avail (like smax=64
max=512 ttl=120 min=8 acquire=1)

If I set up lighttpd+proxy on the proxy servers instead of apache, I
fully saturate the gigE on the origin server (~500 Mbit/sec) as
expected.

I've tried changing MaxClients from 256 to 512 to 1024, no effect.
I've tried changing from MPM prefork to worker, and twiddled threads
per child, no effect.

What could explain this 125x difference in performance?  Is there some
sort of resource or lock or something contention in mod_proxy that I
should know about?

Are the virtual host lookups taking too long?  Eventually I'd like to
support up to 10,000 virtual hosts through this proxy.  Is there
something like mod_vhost_alias for proxy for large configurations?

Is using subdirectories in ProxyPass slowing things down?  Really, I'd
just like to forward all requests for anything to the origin server IP
and let the origin worry about serving the right vhost's files.

Thanks,
Skye

Re: mod_proxy performance with apache 2.2

Posted by Skye Poier Nott <sk...@F4.ca>.
Well it appears the bottleneck was related to configuration on either
the proxy or origin.

Changing the origin (10.100.10.65) vhost config to:

UseCanonicalName Off
NameVirtualHost *:80

<VirtualHost *:80>
         ServerName none.example.com
         VirtualDocumentRoot /path/to/docroot/$0
</VirtualHost>

and the proxy config to:

ProxyPreserveHost On
ProxyPass / http://10.100.10.65/
ProxyPassReverse / http://10.100.10.65/

Now I'm getting 500Mbps instead of 4Mbps.  I guess the proxy servers
really didn't like having a couple of hundred VirtualHost blocks with
individual ProxyPass directives.

Case closed!

Posted by Skye Poier Nott <sk...@F4.ca>.
Uh, ignore the last configuration question... I just found
"ProxyPreserveHost"  *blush*

Posted by Skye Poier Nott <sk...@F4.ca>.
Interesting, well maybe a reworked proxy config would help.

How do I proxy requests without rewriting the URL?

Say my client makes a request for http://w0000.example.com/index.html,
which resolves to the IP of my proxy on the client.  I want the proxy
to get the file from 10.100.10.65, the origin, and do the same with
virtual hosts w0001.example.com, w0002.example.com, etc.

All the examples in the Apache docs seem to assume the origin
(backend) is only serving one virtual host.

If I configure the proxy with either of

ProxyPass / http://10.100.10.65/
RewriteRule (.*) http://10.100.10.65$1 [P]

Then all the requests on the origin are for the IP of the origin, not
the original named virtual host, so the wrong files get served from
the origin.

The only way I've been able to do this is to do:

RewriteRule (.*) http://%{HTTP_HOST}$1 [P]

and have the proxy server's DNS configured to resolve
wXXXX.example.com to 10.100.10.65, but that's not very nice if I'm
going to have 10,000+ vhosts.  I just want to pass the original
request to 10.100.10.65, is this possible???

I did this rather easily with lighttpd with the directive:

proxy.server  = ( "/" => ( ( "host" => "10.100.10.65", "port" => 80 )))

Posted by Jesse Nelson <je...@military-inc.com>.
What size file what are you using to test ?

I just did this on 2.2.8  about 5 days ago 3 clients running ~600workers
each hitting proxy server that was server files between 15k and 600k on
3 backends.  was able to top it out over 110Mb/sec. and something like
1800-2k req/sec without really hurting the proxy.

This config also was using a mix of rewrites/proxypass rules.  Over 200
or so rules.

This was on one virt however, and you could be hitting on something
there.

Posted by Guy Ferraiolo <gu...@cnet.com>.
Definitely check the service time of the requests.  If your server isn't
closing the connection, flood won't either.  This is the correct
behavior but it's non-intuitive.  If all your times are equal to the
timeout, this could be the problem.  As for why httpd might not be
closing the connection, that can be tricky and also compliant.

Guy

--
Guy Ferraiolo                                   mailto:guyf@CNET.com
Performance Measurement & Analysis              http://CNET.com

Re: mod_proxy performance with apache 2.2

Posted by Guy Ferraiolo <gu...@cnet.com>.
Skye

What are the actual service times for the requests?  Also, consider
trying less than 1000 clients.  flood clients don't really map 1-to-1 to
human users.