Posted to user@xmlbeans.apache.org by Ajay Aggarwal <aa...@covergence.com> on 2007/06/14 22:03:50 UTC

help with manipulating Xml document

Sorry this is a little long. I needed to explain myself....

I need to manipulate an XML document which follows a schema. But I don't
know of the schema beforehand. So there are no Java classes for types
defined in the schema and I don't want to generate these runtime if I
don't have to.

Our goal is to support a dynamic GUI based on whatever schema and
manipulate the XML document based on user input from the GUI.

As a result I have to add/remove XML fragments (corresponding to
types/properties in the schema).

Removing is easy. Just position the XmlCursor at the right place and
remove.

What is the best way to add XmlObjects corresponding to
types/properties? Say an object O (of some type) has an optional
property of type 'T'. If I have to add the XmlObject corresponding to
this property, what steps should I take?  Should I create a new instance
of type 'T' using schemaTypeLoader? How do I insert this instance at the
right place in the original document?

I think what I am looking for is something like this

  setPropertyValue (XmlObject parentObject, SchemaProperty prop,
XmlObject propValue)

where prop is a property of parentObject's SchemaType and we need to set
its value to propValue.

Thanks.

-Ajay

RE: help with manipulating Xml document

Posted by Ajay Aggarwal <aa...@covergence.com>.
Never mind. Looks like creating an ELEMENT at the right place inside
parent XmlObject does the trick; provided this new ELEMENT is as per the
SchemaType of the parent object. The XmlObject associated with the new
element is automatically of the right SchemaType.