Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Adam Winer <aw...@gmail.com> on 2006/01/07 01:11:24 UTC

ADF Source drop is available!

Well, we've finally gotten there and done it.   A public drop
of the ADF Faces source code is now available:

http://homepage.mac.com/awiner/FileSharing.html

Ted Husted will be copying this over to a people.apache.org
site, at which point I'll take it down from mac.com so
my bandwidth limit doesn't get completely clobbered.

This should be (nearly) a fully buildable Maven 2.0 project,
including a separate project of custom Maven 2 plugins (
which are also part of the contribution.)  There's an Apache 2.0
LICENSE.txt at the root of the distribution, and to save people
the work of building it, we've included the JARs and our
demo WAR.

John and I have spent most of this week cleaning up the
codebase to eliminate compile and build dependencies on
anything Oracle proprietary or non-ASF compatible.  I'd say
we're 99.9% of the way there - the remaining points being:

  - the lack (AFAIK) of a JSF impl in the public maven
   repository - obviously, we can trivially point that to
   MyFaces api and impl
 - Our tests use a Mock JSF impl that's just a mockmaker
   run over jsf-api - but that's not totally ASF-legit.
   We've included that jar in this distribution, but this needs
   to be redone the right way.

Looking forward to all of your comments!

Best regards,
John and Adam

Re: ADF Source drop is available!

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmx.at>.
Adam Winer wrote:
> Well, we've finally gotten there and done it.   A public drop
> of the ADF Faces source code is now available:
>
> http://homepage.mac.com/awiner/FileSharing.html

wohoo this is awesome.

Re: ADF Source drop is available!

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <mw...@gmail.com>.
Also really cool is ADFFacesContext and getAgent(), for calculating user-agents.

Nice stuff. Have look at it more detailed next week.

Nice weekend ;)

-Matthias

--
Matthias Wessendorf
Zülpicher Wall 12, 239

Re: ADF Source drop is available!

Posted by Jonas Jacobi <jo...@oracle.com>.
Hi Martin,

No worries ;) I'm looking forward to help out as well.

Thanks,
Jonas

Martin Marinschek wrote:
> John and Adam's, sorry ;)
>
> regards,
>
> Martin
>
> On 1/7/06, Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> No,
>>
>> don't get me wrong - we don't have to fix this before getting into
>> incubator, just on the exit. And I'd definitely combine this exit with
>> a major release, and on a major release you should be able to change
>> package names, and your users will accept that.
>>
>> But it's John and Jonas call on how and when they want to handle this.
>>
>> regards,
>>
>> Martin
>>
>> On 1/7/06, Mario Ivankovits <im...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi!

>>> Not hat my meaning has any weight here, but with modern IDEs it should
>>> easily be possible to do some search and replace on the code.
>>> Or we can provide a simple ant script to do this. It should be that hard
>>> to replace using the fqn name of the changed classes.
>>>
>>> ---
>>> Mario
>>>

>> --
>>
>> http://www.irian.at
>>
>> Your JSF powerhouse -
>> JSF Consulting, Development and
>> Courses in English and German

> http://www.irian.at
>
> Your JSF powerhouse -
> JSF Consulting, Development and
> Courses in English and German

*Jonas Jacobi
*Principal Product Manager - JSF & ADF Faces
Oracle JDeveloper
*Author*: Pro JSF: Building Rich Internet Components
<http://apress.com/book/bookDisplay.html?bID=10044>
*Blog*: http://www.orablogs.com/jjacobi

Re: ADF Source drop is available!

Posted by Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com>.
John and Adam's, sorry ;)

regards,

Martin

On 1/7/06, Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> No,
>
> don't get me wrong - we don't have to fix this before getting into
> incubator, just on the exit. And I'd definitely combine this exit with
> a major release, and on a major release you should be able to change
> package names, and your users will accept that.
>
> But it's John and Jonas call on how and when they want to handle this.
>
> regards,
>
> Martin
>
> On 1/7/06, Mario Ivankovits <im...@apache.org> wrote:
> > Hi!
> > > What we can do is providing *wrapper* for the package stuff. ADF Faces
> > > is software, which is already in use by lot's of people, so... if we
> > > change *all* packages, we bother some users IMO. So we can set the
> > > *old* as deprecated and provide *new* org.apache.** package.
> > >
> > > Not sure if it is ok... starting an incubation with different packages
> > > then org.apche.**
> > >
> > Not hat my meaning has any weight here, but with modern IDEs it should
> > easily be possible to do some search and replace on the code.
> > Or we can provide a simple ant script to do this. It should be that hard
> > to replace using the fqn name of the changed classes.
> >
> > ---
> > Mario
> >

> --
>
> http://www.irian.at
>
> Your JSF powerhouse -
> JSF Consulting, Development and
> Courses in English and German

http://www.irian.at

Your JSF powerhouse -
JSF Consulting, Development and
Courses in English and German

Professional Support for Apache MyFaces

Re: ADF Source drop is available!

Posted by Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com>.
No,

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <im...@apache.org>.
Hi!

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <mw...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com>.
Just looked on some of the renderers, and they look pretty nice to me.
Clean, cool, JSF code.

e.g. oracle.adfinternal.view.faces.renderkit.core.xhtml.TableRenderer

Sean, you know why I've started with this one, right ;) ?

Posted by John Fallows <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 1/9/06, Adam Winer <aw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1/7/06, Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have started looking at the sources,
> >
> > and my first look was on the accompanying java-script code.
> >
> > Now, I hope Martin Cooper hasn't had the time to look so far, cause he
> > wouldn't have been to happy ;)
> >
> > Issues I've seen so far:
> >
> > - no namespacing for class-names
> > - global variables (not even namespaced)
> > - global, not namespaced functions
>
> Yeah, known - when this code was written (it pretty much all
> comes from UIX) we were very naive JS developers.  One
> of the items already on our todo list is moving all the functions,
> classes, and variables inside a single top level object.

Yes, that's right, and we're also looking forward to working with the rest
of the Apache MyFaces community to make these and other useful improvements.
:-)

Kind Regards,
John Fallows.

--
Author Pro JSF and Ajax: Building Rich Internet Components

Re: Javascript namespacing (was Re: ADF Source drop is available!)

Posted by Adam Winer <aw...@gmail.com>.
Yep, this is what I meant - though what Martin suggests in the
codebase gets large enough to make it worthwhile.

The same thing also applies to top-level EL objects where (being
less naive these days :), we put our EL-accessible objects off of
#{adfFacesContext} (plus #{processScope}, which is our only
other top-level variable).

-- Adam

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
On 1/9/06, Simon Kitching <sk...@obsidium.com> wrote:

> Adam Winer wrote:
> > One
> > of the items already on our todo list is moving all the functions,
> > classes, and variables inside a single top level object.
>
> Using a single top-level object is something I've been considering
> suggesting for a while.
>
> MyFaces could create a single "myfaces" object for javascript, then
> attach any further scripting to that object as "methods". This reduces
> the namespace pollution to a single name.

This would be the very bare minimum. Much more useful is to introduce
something similar to the Java package system, which is what Dojo does, for
example. So then you have packages such as dojo.lang, dojo.io,
dojo.widget.html, etc. As with Java, you then define your classes inside
those packages. (One of the things that's quite different from Java, though,
is that the 'this' keyword means something very different in JavaScript,
even when it appears to be the same in the simplest cases.)

There's a discussion of namespacing in JavaScript at the end of this
excellent article about "OOP with ECMAScript":

http://fm.dept-z.com/index.asp?get=/Resources/OOP_with_ECMAScript/

--
Martin Cooper

Posted by Simon Kitching <sk...@obsidium.com>.

Posted by Adam Winer <aw...@gmail.com>.
On 1/7/06, Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have started looking at the sources,
>
> and my first look was on the accompanying java-script code.
>
> Now, I hope Martin Cooper hasn't had the time to look so far, cause he
> wouldn't have been to happy ;)
>
> Issues I've seen so far:
>
> - no namespacing for class-names
> - global variables (not even namespaced)
> - global, not namespaced functions

Yeah, known - when this code was written (it pretty much all
comes from UIX) we were very naive JS developers.  One
of the items already on our todo list is moving all the functions,
classes, and variables inside a single top level object.

> apart from that, the javascript code in the functions themselves
> looked pretty decent to me. Any chance we can work together to clean
> that up in incubator?

Absolutely!  (Incubator, sandbox, whereever...)

-- Adam

Posted by Adam Winer <aw...@gmail.com>.
On 1/7/06, Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 1/7/06, Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have started looking at the sources,
> >
> > and my first look was on the accompanying java-script code.
> >
> > Now, I hope Martin Cooper hasn't had the time to look so far, cause he
> > wouldn't have been to happy ;)
>

> *sigh*
>
> I'd hoped for better from Oracle. Oh well. I guess there's work to do...

The good news is that we know better now. :)

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <mw...@gmail.com>.

For that, we need an account at i.a.o ;)

Re: ADF Source drop is available!

Posted by Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <mw...@gmail.com>.
Adam, John.

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <mw...@gmail.com>.
Hi

> I have faxed AND mailed all the documents/agreements to ASF.

since all the paperworks seems to be done, I'll think we have to let
the incubator PMC / list know.
Ted, correct me, if I am wrong.

-Matthias

Re: ADF Source drop is available!

Posted by Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com>.
Yes,

I meant the ASF side of things. It's one thing to get All The Powers
Of Oracle to sign, it's another to get All The Powers Of the ASF to
process ;)

Well, it's just a time issue. I'll go over to Manfred and ask him if
he can see anything like that already processed.

regards,

Martin

Posted by Omar Tazi <om...@oracle.com>.
Martin, Adam;

Posted by Adam Winer <aw...@gmail.com>.
Martin,

Posted by Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com>.
John, Adam,

Posted by John Fallows <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bernd Bohmann <be...@atanion.com>.
Hello Adam,

Adam Winer schrieb:
> I was looking in the maven2 subdirectory - is maven2 smart enough
> to search both maven2 and maven1 repositories?

Unfortunately you can't find MyFaces in the org.apache.myfaces dir.

MyFaces releases before the upcoming 1.1.2 have the groupId myfaces.

Regards

Bernd

Re: ADF Source drop is available!

Posted by Adam Winer <aw...@gmail.com>.
On 1/7/06, Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> John and Adam,
>
> Thanks for all of your hard work getting this ready.  I'm looking
> forward to studying it.  I'm a little busy with the Maven migration
> now but I will get to it.  Once we are fully migrated to maven I
> suspect this will make things easier for the ADF code to use myfaces
> snapshots, etc.
>
> As for the current unavailability of a JSF impl in Maven ... there are
> myfaces jars on ibiblio[1]. I believe struts-shale (using m1) makes
> use of this now.  We didn't really set them up ourselves.  We just
> copied the jars to certain locations on an ASF server and they end up
> propogating there.

I was looking in the maven2 subdirectory - is maven2 smart enough
to search both maven2 and maven1 repositories?

> I'm still new to maven and I haven't mastered publishing your jars
> yet.  Maybe you need more?  Soon we hope to have a full-fledged
> mavenized release which will solve all your problems.

I'm sure that'll do it, but if built as part of MyFaces, we don't even
need that, 'cause obviously the build machine would have a local
build of MyFaces, with or without publishing to ibiblio.  Anyway, I
hope all the problems are this easy to solve. :)

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.
John and Adam,

Thanks for all of your hard work getting this ready.  I'm looking
forward to studying it.  I'm a little busy with the Maven migration
now but I will get to it.  Once we are fully migrated to maven I
suspect this will make things easier for the ADF code to use myfaces
snapshots, etc.

As for the current unavailability of a JSF impl in Maven ... there are
myfaces jars on ibiblio[1]. I believe struts-shale (using m1) makes
use of this now.  We didn't really set them up ourselves.  We just
copied the jars to certain locations on an ASF server and they end up
propogating there.

I'm still new to maven and I haven't mastered publishing your jars
yet.  Maybe you need more?  Soon we hope to have a full-fledged
mavenized release which will solve all your problems.

Sean

[1] http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/myfaces/

Posted by Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, guys.

downloading at the moment ;)

Posted by Omar Tazi <om...@oracle.com>.
I am happy to help with the proposal.

-Omar

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <mw...@gmail.com>.
> Well, I do think that Martin Cooper seems to be a little interested at
> least, maybe we can get him aboard?

Why not. So my +1 for MC :-)

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net>.
Thanx for the info Ted..
I clearly don't fit in the description too well (except for not mentoring any other project :)

Mvgr,
Martin

Posted by Ted Husted <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net>.

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmx.at>.

Posted by Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Martin,

ok, well that's a decision we have to accept. I have thought about
your technical input though and will make sure we keep your concerns
in mind for our javascript-policy into the future.

regards,

Martin

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com>.
Sounds good to me!

Posted by Ted Husted <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <mw...@gmail.com>.
> Here is one :
> - Nirosha (a first name used in Sri Lanka, afaik it is a flower)
>    And the Myfaces logo with a flower in it :)

Why not just "common" name?`

Leon ?
-> MyFaces Leon

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net>.

Ted Husted wrote:
> On 1/11/06, Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net> wrote:
>
>>It is best to have it up at the wiki when sending in the proposal.. This allows interested
>>people to add their names. This is just what I understood from the incubator mailinglist
>>though..
>

> It's both actually. The wiki should be drafted and maintained on a
> wiki, for purposes of collaboration and transparency, but the actual
> proposal should still be submitted to the list, so that there is a
> firm reference copy.

I didn't mean to imply that sending the proposal itself should be skipped, although I didn't make
that very clear :)

> In the initial discussions (which were almost a year ago), we had
> envisioned bringing in only the codebase, maintaining the code with
> existing committers, and adding new committes only as they proved
> themselves in the usual way. But, a year later, that is sounding less
> and less like a good idea, and a conventional incubation is sounding
> like a better and better idea.
>
> I doubt that I will have the bandwidth this year to shepard the ADF
> donation through a conventional incubation that includes
> indoctrinating new committers. As part of drawing up the proposal,
> there should also be an effort to attract one or more other ASF
> members to this initiative to help with the incubation.

I don't know the complete initial committer list for ADF Faces, but the ones I know, put in a real
effort to do it the Apache way (besides the ADF contribution), so maybe this still can be handled
the way it was initially discussed / proposed.

FYI : Just an observation from the mailinglist traffic / involvement.

Mvgr,
Martin

Re: ADF Source drop is available!

Posted by Ted Husted <te...@gmail.com>.
On 1/11/06, Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net> wrote:
> It is best to have it up at the wiki when sending in the proposal.. This allows interested
> people to add their names. This is just what I understood from the incubator mailinglist
> though..

It's both actually. The wiki should be drafted and maintained on a
wiki, for purposes of collaboration and transparency, but the actual
proposal should still be submitted to the list, so that there is a
firm reference copy.

Do keep in mind that the idea of a proposal implies a conventional
podling incubation, where the donation would live in the Incubator
repository until ready to join the ASF as either a subproject or a
top-level project. During that time the Incubator PMC would serve as
the podling's official PMC and approve all releases and new
committers.

Given the discussions here, that might be the best way to go. I just
want to be sure that everyone understands that a conventional
incubation of a codebase this large, that includes bringing new
committers into the ASF open source community, will probably take at
least a year to complete. (Witness BeeHive and Derby.)

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net>.
Call it ADF Faces for the initial proposal, if that is ok with Oracle and add to the proposal that a
  new name should be found. There should be time enough to find a new name before the ball really
gets rolling (meaning when it gets harder to do a name change).

Just ask people for suggestions, pick the best, see if there are no legal issues with it and have a
vote.

Posted by Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net>.

Posted by Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net>.

Posted by John Fallows <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 1/10/06, Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> You might give it out to Jack ;)

Ha ha!  My 6 month old son, Jack, would undoubtedly love to bash on the
keyboard as we put together this proposal. :-)

I've started to recover from the flu a bit now, so I'll be available to help
out with this.

Kind Regards,
John Fallows.

Posted by Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com>.
You might give it out to Jack ;)

Posted by Adam Winer <aw...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Adam Winer <aw...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Bill!

Posted by Bill Dudney <bd...@mac.com>.

Posted by Bill Dudney <bd...@mac.com>.
Sorry Ted,

Posted by Adam Winer <aw...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, Ted.  So we'll get our ducks in a row during the rest
of January, and maybe I can also take the time to help orient
some folks around the code base.

-- Adam

Posted by Ted Husted <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bill Dudney <bd...@mac.com>.
Hi Adam,

Thanks for the drop!

Since Ted seems to be busy I went ahead and uploaded the file to our
space.

http://myfaces.apache.org/adf/apache-drop.zip

Is the url for those interested and to spare Adam's bandwidth. From
what I understand from the rumor mill though our .mac accts will go
to 1TB this month :-)

Thanks again Adam,

TTFN,

-bd-

Posted by Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com>.
As for the build - what are the settings I'd need to change to make it
work locally? Or should we wait for a later version to really build