Posted to dev@bookkeeper.apache.org by Nicholas Nezis <ni...@gmail.com> on 2022/02/27 22:13:38 UTC

Bookkeeper Helm chart

Hello,

I wanted to socialize a request to create a Bookkeeper Helm chart.
Currently the best, most maintained location for Bookkeeper in Kubernetes
logic, is in the Apache Pulsar helm chart.

Currently Apache Heron, which I help maintain, is also leveraging
Bookkeeper. But in our Helm chart, we are using a much simpler set of yamls
based on the examples found in the BK Github repo:

BK samples:
https://github.com/apache/bookkeeper/tree/master/deploy/kubernetes/gke
Heron Helm chart:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-heron/blob/master/deploy/kubernetes/helm/templates/bookie.yaml

I wanted to update our Helm chart, and it seemed silly to keep multiple
copies of the same logic in 3 different repos. The Pulsar logic is by far
the most feature rich and complete. This led me to consider updating
Heron's helm chart to depend on the Pulsar helm chart, but disable
everything but Bookkeeper. This led me to the realization that it would be
nice if the Bookkeeper logic was extracted into a Bookkeeper specific Helm
chart that both Pulsar and Heron could depend on as a dependency.

All of the current Pulsar chart properties could stay the same, and pass
through to the underlying Bookkeeper chart properties.

I'm not sure if any other differences between the official Bookkeeper
Docker image and the `pulsar-all` image would need to be addressed.
Hopefully at this point there is not much different in image scripts?

I appreciate your consideration of this request.
Nick