Posted to oak-dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Chetan Mehrotra <ch...@gmail.com> on 2014/03/10 14:02:25 UTC

Queries related to various BlobStore implementations

Currently we have following implementations of BlobStore

1. org.apache.jackrabbit.oak.plugins.blob.db.DbBlobStore
2. org.apache.jackrabbit.oak.plugins.blob.cloud.CloudBlobStore
3. org.apache.jackrabbit.oak.spi.blob.FileBlobStore
4. org.apache.jackrabbit.oak.spi.blob.MemoryBlobStore
5. org.apache.jackrabbit.oak.plugins.document.mongo.MongoBlobStore
6. org.apache.jackrabbit.oak.plugins.document.mongo.gridfs.MongoGridFSBlobStore
7. org.apache.jackrabbit.oak.plugins.blob.datastore.DataStoreBlobStore
8. org.apache.jackrabbit.oak.plugins.document.rdb.RDBBlobStore

And then for DataStore we have

a) org.apache.jackrabbit.core.data.db.DbDataStore
b) org.apache.jackrabbit.aws.ext.ds.S3DataStore
c) org.apache.jackrabbit.core.data.FileDataStore

Now based on above list couple of Queries

Q1 - What is the difference between RDBBlobStore and DbBlobStore?
Should we have only one implementation for storage in DataBase

Q2 - For a system which is getting upgraded from JR2 to Oak. Would
2.1 It continue to use its existing DataStore implementation.
2.2 Migrate all the content first then switch to one of the BlobStore
implementations
2.3 Both DataStore and BlobStore would be used together

Q3. Just for the record and to confirm we would be preferring
S3DataStore over CloudBlobStore for now

Q4. Should we remove some of the unused BlobStore impl like
MongoGridFSBlobStore. They can be resurrected back if need is felt for
them

Chetan Mehrotra

Re: Queries related to various BlobStore implementations

Posted by Michael Marth <mm...@adobe.com>.
Hi,

Q2 - For a system which is getting upgraded from JR2 to Oak. Would
2.1 It continue to use its existing DataStore implementation.
2.2 Migrate all the content first then switch to one of the BlobStore
implementations
2.3 Both DataStore and BlobStore would be used together

I think we need at least 1 option where existing users can share a filesystem-based DS across Oak instances. Not sure, if 2.1 is the only option that supported, though.

Michael

Re: Queries related to various BlobStore implementations

Posted by Julian Reschke <ju...@gmx.de>.
On 2014-03-10 14:02, Chetan Mehrotra wrote:
> Currently we have following implementations of BlobStore
>
> 1. org.apache.jackrabbit.oak.plugins.blob.db.DbBlobStore
> 2. org.apache.jackrabbit.oak.plugins.blob.cloud.CloudBlobStore
> 3. org.apache.jackrabbit.oak.spi.blob.FileBlobStore
> 4. org.apache.jackrabbit.oak.spi.blob.MemoryBlobStore
> 5. org.apache.jackrabbit.oak.plugins.document.mongo.MongoBlobStore
> 6. org.apache.jackrabbit.oak.plugins.document.mongo.gridfs.MongoGridFSBlobStore
> 7. org.apache.jackrabbit.oak.plugins.blob.datastore.DataStoreBlobStore
> 8. org.apache.jackrabbit.oak.plugins.document.rdb.RDBBlobStore
>
> And then for DataStore we have
>
> a) org.apache.jackrabbit.core.data.db.DbDataStore
> b) org.apache.jackrabbit.aws.ext.ds.S3DataStore
> c) org.apache.jackrabbit.core.data.FileDataStore
>
> Now based on above list couple of Queries
>
> Q1 - What is the difference between RDBBlobStore and DbBlobStore?
> Should we have only one implementation for storage in DataBase

RDBBlobStore wass derived from DbBlobStore; I believe the latter can go
- Thomas?

Best regards, Julian