Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com> on 2006/07/18 17:04:03 UTC

[classlib] Using Yoko as CORBA for Harmony

Guys,

There is a CORBA implementation in Apache incubator named Yoko.
http://incubator.apache.org/yoko/

I've built and reviewed it... It seems that Yoko have almost all the
packages from the 1.5 specification.
So it looks like a good candidate for using as CORBA for Harmony.

The only problem is that Yoko has even more packages in org.omg then
specified by 1.5 specification. So we should decide what to do with
them.

I'm planing to do the following things in nearest future:
1. Get the list of the not implemented classes in Yoko according to 1.5 spec.
2. Check that we have all the classes needed by Yoko in Harmony.

Thoughts? Comments?

SY, Alexey

--
Alexey A. Petrenko
Intel Middleware Products Division

Re: [classlib] Using Yoko as CORBA for Harmony

Posted by Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com>.
2006/7/24, Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>:

> Alexey Petrenko wrote:

> >> Ok.

> >> Both are fixed in current version, or should be if it's just using the
> >> first line reported by "-versin"

> >> Ok - I don't understand quite what you are trying to do.
> >>
> >> The goal is to integrate yoko to satisfy the corba requirements for java
> >>  5.  it sounds like you are trying to run Yoko using Harmony.  This is
> >> something that will happen, but w/o any integration into classlib, right
> >> now no one can look at this with you.
> >>
> >> Can you come up with a first-pass, simple, just-get-it-in-there
> >> integration into the classlibrary?
> > Yes. First of all I'm trying to understand can Yoko work with Harmony or
> > not.
> >
> > Integration... You said that we need to download some jar from Yoko to
> > our deploy directory and use it. I agree with you since run Yoko's
> > build script from our build script is not a good idea.
> > But Yoko does not have any prebuilt jars for download right now. So we
> > should discuss this possibility on dev-list of Yoko.
>
> I see.  They are working on it though, IIRC (I keep an eye on their dev
> list.)
>
> But until then, you're right - lest just go with each of us building it
> if we need to and dropping into depends/jars or something, in a way
> similar to how mx4j, xerces, xalan and other dependencies (and
> eventually nudge them to create a snapshot).
>

> > How do you see "a first-pass, simple, just-get-it-in-there integration
> > into the classlibrary"?
>
> I was assuming that for the simplest zero-th order integration, we'd do
> what we do now w/ MX4J - have a jar somewhere and eventually gets moved
> into jre/lib/boot/yoko-M1/ and an appropriate entry in
> bootclasspath.properties.
>
> We'll probably need some kind of glue for startup/initialization?
>
> Does that make any sense?
Yep.
That's why I'm trying to run Yoko on Harmony to understand do we need
some glue or implement some classes...

SY, Alexey

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Alexey Petrenko wrote:
> 2006/7/22, Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>:
>>

>> Alexey Petrenko wrote:
>> > There are not much news to share...
>> >
>> > First of all I realized that I did not completely build Yoko. My build
>> > was failed with the test failure. I thought that all the tests are at
>> > the end so all the sources are built. But Yoko runs the tests after
>> > building each module...
>> > I reviewed Yoko bug database and found the issue corresponding to my
>> > failure, applied fix to my repository and definitely finished the
>> > build after that :)
>>
>> Ok.
>>

>> > I've tried to run Maven on Harmony classlib+drlvm but have failed with
>> > it. Ant lets to define Java executable to run on by environment
>> > variable but I could not find such option for Maven. I've renamed
>> > ij.exe into java.exe and set JAVA_HOME to drlvm location. Maven
>> > started with Harmony after that but failed with Java version check.
>> > Drlvm shows version like 11.smth.smth.
>> > Probably we should fix this in drlvm. Or at least discuss this.
>>
>> Both are fixed in current version, or should be if it's just using the
>> first line reported by "-versin"
>> >
>> > I also found a shell script inside Yoko which can run Yoko tests
>> > without Maven. But I had not time to try it yet...
>> >

>> Ok - I don't understand quite what you are trying to do.
>>
>> The goal is to integrate yoko to satisfy the corba requirements for java
>>  5.  it sounds like you are trying to run Yoko using Harmony.  This is
>> something that will happen, but w/o any integration into classlib, right
>> now no one can look at this with you.
>>
>> Can you come up with a first-pass, simple, just-get-it-in-there
>> integration into the classlibrary?
> Yes. First of all I'm trying to understand can Yoko work with Harmony or
> not.
>
> Integration... You said that we need to download some jar from Yoko to
> our deploy directory and use it. I agree with you since run Yoko's
> build script from our build script is not a good idea.
> But Yoko does not have any prebuilt jars for download right now. So we
> should discuss this possibility on dev-list of Yoko.

I see.  They are working on it though, IIRC (I keep an eye on their dev
list.)

But until then, you're right - lest just go with each of us building it
if we need to and dropping into depends/jars or something, in a way
similar to how mx4j, xerces, xalan and other dependencies (and
eventually nudge them to create a snapshot).

> How do you see "a first-pass, simple, just-get-it-in-there integration
> into the classlibrary"?

I was assuming that for the simplest zero-th order integration, we'd do
what we do now w/ MX4J - have a jar somewhere and eventually gets moved
into jre/lib/boot/yoko-M1/ and an appropriate entry in
bootclasspath.properties.

We'll probably need some kind of glue for startup/initialization?

Does that make any sense?

geir

Re: [classlib] Using Yoko as CORBA for Harmony

Posted by Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Alexey Petrenko wrote:
> 2006/7/22, Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>:
>>

>> Alexey Petrenko wrote:
>> > There are not much news to share...
>> >
>> > First of all I realized that I did not completely build Yoko. My build
>> > was failed with the test failure. I thought that all the tests are at
>> > the end so all the sources are built. But Yoko runs the tests after
>> > building each module...
>> > I reviewed Yoko bug database and found the issue corresponding to my
>> > failure, applied fix to my repository and definitely finished the
>> > build after that :)
>>
>> Ok.
>>

>> > I've tried to run Maven on Harmony classlib+drlvm but have failed with
>> > it. Ant lets to define Java executable to run on by environment
>> > variable but I could not find such option for Maven. I've renamed
>> > ij.exe into java.exe and set JAVA_HOME to drlvm location. Maven
>> > started with Harmony after that but failed with Java version check.
>> > Drlvm shows version like 11.smth.smth.
>> > Probably we should fix this in drlvm. Or at least discuss this.
>>
>> Both are fixed in current version, or should be if it's just using the
>> first line reported by "-versin"
> Investigation shown that Maven checks for java.class.version property
> value.

Ah.

Ok, I just fixed that in SVN.  It's an awful fix, but it's no worse than
it was, and I'll fix correctly later.

Posted by Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.
So how goes the YOKO battle?

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Nathan Beyer wrote:

> [...]

Are you having problems right now w/o?  What we have seems to work
pretty well.  I don't think there are any dependencies that you need to
go manually get, short of Java and ant.

> One day we will be able to use Maven...one day...

Maybe. :)

geir

RE: [classlib] Using Yoko as CORBA for Harmony

Posted by Nathan Beyer <nb...@kc.rr.com>.

-Nathan

Re: [classlib] Using Yoko as CORBA for Harmony

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:

> Alexey Petrenko wrote:

>>> First thing that would be nice is to try and integrate into our build,
>>> and then figure out 1 and 2 (which seem to be the same to me :)
>>>
>>> Then we can work with yoko to get either a build distribution tailored
>>> to our needs, and also help finish the things we need.
>> It seems that we need to start with this since Yoko has build system
>> based on Maven. So we should force Harmony developers to download and
>> configure Maven in addition to ant or produce our own build script for
>> Yoko based on ant.
>
> We don't want to build Yoko.  We just want to use their binaries.
>
>> The simplest way for the begining will be to copy Yoko binary by the
>> Harmony build script. As drlvm does...
>

> They have a milestone release coming - why not just use that?

Agreed.  Grab a binary jar(s) and put them into our dependencies, just
like we do for Xerces et al.

Regards,
Tim

--

Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)
IBM Java technology centre, UK.

Re: [classlib] Using Yoko as CORBA for Harmony

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com>.
Hmm... OK

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Alexey Petrenko wrote:
> Here is the list of org.omg packages from 1.5 spec:
> org.omg.CORBA
> org.omg.CORBA_2_3
> org.omg.CORBA_2_3.portable
> org.omg.CORBA.DynAnyPackage
> org.omg.CORBA.ORBPackage
> org.omg.CORBA.portable
> org.omg.CORBA.TypeCodePackage
> org.omg.CosNaming
> org.omg.CosNaming.NamingContextExtPackage
> org.omg.CosNaming.NamingContextPackage
> org.omg.Dynamic
> org.omg.DynamicAny
> org.omg.DynamicAny.DynAnyFactoryPackage
> org.omg.DynamicAny.DynAnyPackage
> org.omg.IOP
> org.omg.IOP.CodecFactoryPackage
> org.omg.IOP.CodecPackage
> org.omg.Messaging
> org.omg.PortableInterceptor
> org.omg.PortableInterceptor.ORBInitInfoPackage
> org.omg.PortableServer
> org.omg.PortableServer.CurrentPackage
> org.omg.PortableServer.POAManagerPackage
> org.omg.PortableServer.POAPackage
> org.omg.PortableServer.portable
> org.omg.PortableServer.ServantLocatorPackage
> org.omg.SendingContext
> org.omg.stub.java.rmi
>
> Yoko have additional packages to this list.
> Do you think that this is OK?

YES

geir

Re: [classlib] Using Yoko as CORBA for Harmony

Posted by Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com>.
2006/7/18, Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>:
> Alexey Petrenko wrote:
> > Guys,
> >
> > There is a CORBA implementation in Apache incubator named Yoko.
> > http://incubator.apache.org/yoko/
> >
> > I've built and reviewed it... It seems that Yoko have almost all the
> > packages from the 1.5 specification.
> > So it looks like a good candidate for using as CORBA for Harmony.
> Great.  Does it come with a test suite too?  Just thinking about how we
> check that the Yoko code works ok on Harmony.
Yep, it has test suite but I was not successful in trying to run it yet :(

> > The only problem is that Yoko has even more packages in org.omg then
> > specified by 1.5 specification. So we should decide what to do with
> > them.
> Hmm, is that a problem?  I'm assuming that we can have any packages
> outside the 1.5 spec that we want (e.g. o.a.harmony.whatever).
org.apache.harmony is our internal classes. But Yoko has additional

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Tim Ellison wrote:
> Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
>> Yes, but we can always filter things out too.  Not really an issue.
>
> How would you do that?  Assuming that Yoko actually needs that code to
> do something.

Of course- my assumption is that this is extra, no core stuff.

geir

Re: [classlib] Using Yoko as CORBA for Harmony

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
Alexey Petrenko wrote:
> Guys,
>
> There is a CORBA implementation in Apache incubator named Yoko.
> http://incubator.apache.org/yoko/
>
> I've built and reviewed it... It seems that Yoko have almost all the
> packages from the 1.5 specification.
> So it looks like a good candidate for using as CORBA for Harmony.

Great.  Does it come with a test suite too?  Just thinking about how we
check that the Yoko code works ok on Harmony.

> The only problem is that Yoko has even more packages in org.omg then
> specified by 1.5 specification. So we should decide what to do with
> them.

Hmm, is that a problem?  I'm assuming that we can have any packages
outside the 1.5 spec that we want (e.g. o.a.harmony.whatever).

> I'm planing to do the following things in nearest future:
> 1. Get the list of the not implemented classes in Yoko according to 1.5
> spec.
> 2. Check that we have all the classes needed by Yoko in Harmony.
>
> Thoughts? Comments?

Sounds good, thanks Alexey.

Regards,
Tim

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Tim Ellison wrote:
> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>> Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:

>>> Heh.  I forgot about that.  I was just thinking about licensing terms.
>>>
>>> I assume we can simply treat things as local to the boot classlibath if
>>> we needed to somehow?
>>>

>> I don't think BCEL will be the only one we will have a problem with:
>> xerces and xalan come to mind.
>>
>> Sun changed the package names from org.apache.xerces to
>> com.sun.apache.xerces to avoid exactly that, they will probably do the
>> same with rhino for the next versions of the JVM.
>>
>> It wouldn't be hard to write a "jar rewriter" that would simply change
>> the package name in every class it finds (based on a regular expression
>> or something like that).
>>
>> Another, maybe more elegant solution, would be to create a classloading
>> architecture that is sealed, but I don't think the current state of java
>> affairs allows for such a thing to be both compliant and solid.
>>

> I agree that package renaming is not a great solution, especially since
> you have to do it transitively so have the possibility of numerous
> copies of the same shared prerequisite rewritten to different package
> names (or you have to portray the versioning relationship in those
> package names).
>
> We already have the OSGi metadata for our Harmony modules in the jar
> files on the bootclasspath.  We can use that information at runtime to
> define the visibility of packages within and outside the bootclasspath.

Right - that's what I was suggesting, although I wasn't clear, but I
think it requires further information that defines what the
bootclassloader can expose to calls from stuff from off the bootclasspath.

Right now, mx4j shines right through, for example.

>> I do think that it is a shame that Java has not incorporated versioning
>> with classloading, or has designed a more compartmentalized classloading
>> architecture.
>>

> This is very much in the frame at the moment though, with jsr277,
> jsr291, et al working in this area.

We should find out what real-world experience they are basing the work
on, and model after that for now, or if it's being invented from
whole-cloth in the EGs, and we can't publicly talk about those
approaches, we go our own way for now...

>> But the problem of having part of our class library depend on classes
>> that have the same name of *different* classes that might be running in
>> user space is a problem that we have to face because it's going to
>> surface in pretty much any important java application (and with
>> appservers it gets even worse
>
> Yep, and I'd like to do something more robust than package renaming (as
> you point out).

Absolutely.

geir

Re: [classlib] Using Yoko as CORBA for Harmony

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Mikhail Fursov <mi...@gmail.com>.
?

On 7/26/06, Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com> wrote:

> Alexey Petrenko wrote:
> > BTW, Yoko also has javax.rmi and javax.rmi.CORBA implementations...
> > These implementations are requires Apache BCEL.
> >

> That's ok - BECL is Apache Licensed (and an Apache project)

> Or
> >> Yes. Download a prebuilt jar from the project site is the simplest way
> >> for us...

> >> all jars

> >> to make
> >> make

> >> there?

> >> Yoko.

> >> almost all
> >> Harmony.

> >> org.omg
> >> do with

> >> according to
> >> 1.5

> >> harmony-dev-help@incubator.apache.org

> >> harmony-dev-help@incubator.apache.org

> harmony-dev-help@incubator.apache.org
> >> >

> >> --
> >> Alexey A. Petrenko
> >> Intel Middleware Products Division

Mikhail Fursov

Re: [classlib] Using Yoko as CORBA for Harmony

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.