Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by David Legg <da...@searchevent.co.uk> on 2005/08/31 14:58:27 UTC

Re: Running James as a Redhat service - SOLVED

Thanks Bud and Noel for your suggestions.

> David, Below is the script I use on Redhat FC3 to start up james.  It is
> the same as what I used on FC2.

Bud, the script you showed is very similar to mine (except mine didn't have
the 'restart' action).  But you gave me the clue I needed to solve the
problem.

The problem is simply that the JAVA_HOME environment variable isn't present
at boot time.  This is why I could run it from my root login but not at boot
time.  Once I included 'export JAVA_HOME=/usr/local/java' in the file it all
burst into life.

This leads me to an interesting observation.  The phoenix.sh script that
comes with James tests for another script called 'sentenv.sh' but I can't
find this file anywhere in the James 2.2 distribution.  The Wiki page I
referred to earlier mentions altering the bit of script which tests for this
file.  But if the file doesn't exist it will make no difference.

Anyhow... thanks again for the help.

David.