Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Stümpfig, Thomas <th...@siemens.com> on 2015/03/04 15:26:49 UTC

Update Error over VPN

Hi everybody,
we have a strange issue here with svn 1.8.11
upon svn update with we get a REPORT require on '/svn/..../!svn/me' failed

but only on a specific WAN connection.
With a lan connection everything is fine. Updates to the same working folder are ok.
The WAN connection is a Juniper VPN connection (ipsec, nat traversal compatible)  over a carrier grade nat internet connection.

Any idea what is going wrong here?

Regards
Thomas

-----------------
Siemens Industry Software GmbH & Co. KG; Anschrift: Franz-Geuer-Str. 10, 50823 Köln;
Kommanditgesellschaft: Sitz der Gesellschaft: Köln; Registergericht: Amtsgericht Köln, HRA 28227;
Geschäftsführung und persönlich haftender Gesellschafter: Siemens Industry Software Management GmbH;
Geschäftsführer: Urban August, Daniel Trebes; Sitz der Gesellschaft: Köln; Registergericht: Amtsgericht Köln, HRB 70858

RE: Update Error over VPN

Posted by Stümpfig, Thomas <th...@siemens.com>.
Hi all,
i'll try to get a Wireshark extract that covers the error. The problem I have with it, is that Wireshark on the server will capture a huge amount of data. We have ~20-100 parallel updates on the server. I observed peaks with 250 http sessions. Capturing the interface for a long time will be difficult. (I am not very good with Wireshark capture filters). How can I produce a serf debug output? The platform is Windows Server 2008R2 with current Microsoft patches.  I am not aware of the exact configuration of the network. Siemens is a big company, and the hardware over the WAN is also unknown to me. :-(. I am just the guy who cares about the svn server.

Regards
Thomas

Posted by Stümpfig, Thomas <th...@siemens.com>.
I forgot to mention, indeed, the full path in the error message indicates that large avi files were involved in the update operation.

> This error can be triggered (without further details) if our serf HTTP library decides to cancel the request... But for that it would need a good reason.
>
> It would be very interesting to know what caused this... A network trace (or serf debug output) would be very valuable. What platform do you see these problems on?

The client and server are both running Linux: CentOS 6.6 with WANdisco V1.8.11 binaries on the client and Red Hat 5.8 with compiled from source 1.7.5 binaries on the server.  How to I create a network trace and/or serf debug output?

> In another somehow related case that I'm investigating (strict firewall over a VPN link) it really helped to switch to the Subversion 1.9 pre-beta version... It would be very interesting to know if this has the same effect for you.

I can ask the user to give this a try.  Do you have binaries for CentOS 6.6 available?

Alfred
-----------------

Re: Update Error over VPN

Posted by Alfred von Campe <al...@von-campe.com>.
Bert:

RE: Update Error over VPN

Posted by Bert Huijben <be...@qqmail.nl>.

Re: Update Error over VPN

Posted by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 7:16 AM, Alfred von Campe <al...@von-campe.com> wrote:
> I was going to chime in earlier, but something in Brane’s response finally
> put me over the edge.  We are having a very similar error when updating over
> VPN (the problem does not occur when in the office):
>
> Summary of conflicts:
>   Text conflicts: 1
> svn: E175002: REPORT request on '/hepd/Shelby/!svn/me’ failed
>
> The issue occurs while trying to do a merge, and it happens at the point in
> time when a few large binaries (which take noticeably longer when doing an
> “svn up”  because of their size) are processed.  The reason I am replying is
> that we do have a load balancer in front of our pair of Subversion servers.
> I hope this helps to shed some light on this issue.
>
> Alfred

So, tell the load balancer to talk to only one node for a while and
see what happens? And I *assume* you have "sticky sessions" set up in
your load balancer?

Re: Update Error over VPN

Posted by Alfred von Campe <al...@von-campe.com>.

Re: Update Error over VPN