Posted to ivy-user@ant.apache.org by Niklas Matthies <ml...@nmhq.net> on 2007/12/05 13:50:47 UTC

Sharing ivyconf.xml

Hello,

In a multi-project enterprise setting, what is the best way to share a
common ivyconf.xml between projects? We're thinking of placing the
ivyconf.xml somewhere in a shared file system, and have each project's
build file reference that location (file path or URL). Does anyone
have experience with this? Is it the usual way to handle things?

It seems (luckily) that there's no need to have versioning of the
ivyconf.xml, in the sense that different versions of a project would
require different versions of ivyconf.xml (which would introduce
dependency issues on ivyconf.xml...). Is that correct, or are there
issues we might be overlooking?

Thanks,

-- Niklas Matthies

RE: Sharing ivyconf.xml

Posted by Bourzeix, Hervé <He...@Genesys.com>.
Hello, I put my ivyconf available throught http and keep a local copy when offline. Work very well for me

	<target name="_init-ivy">
		<get src="${ivy.conf.url}" dest="${user.home}/.ivy/ivyconf.xml" ignoreerrors="true" usetimestamp="true"/>
		<ivy:configure file="${user.home}/.ivy/ivyconf.xml" validate="false" />
		<ivy:resolve file="${config.dir}/ivy.xml" validate="false" conf="*" />
	</target>

regards

Re: Sharing ivyconf.xml

Posted by Jing Xue <ji...@digizenstudio.com>.
On Wed, Dec 05, 2007 at 01:50:47PM +0100, Niklas Matthies wrote:
> Hello,
>
> In a multi-project enterprise setting, what is the best way to share a
> common ivyconf.xml between projects? We're thinking of placing the
> ivyconf.xml somewhere in a shared file system, and have each project's
> build file reference that location (file path or URL). Does anyone
> have experience with this? Is it the usual way to handle things?

We have our common ant build library script, ivy settings, and a couple of other
things kept under a dedicated module, and publish them as artifacts just
like others. Then they can be retrieved into other projects - using
targets provided in the ant script.

Of course, a new developer would have to manually copy those into his
project to "bootstrap". But that only needs to be done once.

Cheers.
--
Jing Xue

RE: Sharing ivyconf.xml

Posted by Xavier Hanin <Xa...@sas.com>.
Sharing settings through a shared filesystem or url is fine, but I suggest versionning your settings for the sake of build reproducibility. You may have to make changes to your settings in the future, so going back is always something that can be needed.

For versionning you can either use your SCM and make the co / update of settings part of your build, or use urls with a version somewhere in your url, or even use Ivy itself to resolve your dependency on your settings, but then you hit the chicken and egg problem :-)

Xavier