Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Bailey, Shane C." <SH...@saic.com> on 2003/05/17 00:06:17 UTC

DynaActionForm Question + Design

First, I am writing a web based app from scratch and I plan on using

DynaActionForms almost everywhere.  Unless I need to do something

special with the bean because of session resets() not wanted or I have

to do a validate() in the formbean which is more rare with the Struts

validation plugin available.  Any disadvantages to using DynaActionForms

almost all the time?

Next I have a question about using the DynaActionForm.  If I have I

multiselect can I still use a DynaActionForm? And if so do this

in the form bean definition:

<form-property name="things" type="java.lang.String[]" />  ?

Re: DynaActionForm Question + Design

Posted by Vic Cekvenich <vc...@baseBeans.com>.

Bailey, Shane C. wrote:

>First, I am writing a web based app from scratch and I plan on using
>
>DynaActionForms almost everywhere.  Unless I need to do something
>
>special with the bean because of session resets() not wanted or I have
>
>to do a validate() in the formbean which is more rare with the Struts
>
>validation plugin available.  Any disadvantages to using DynaActionForms
>
>almost all the time?

One benefit of layered MVC architecture is that you can unit test the
components. Also you can reuse components. I use a normal formBean for
those reasons.

>Next I have a question about using the DynaActionForm.  If I have I
>
>multiselect can I still use a DynaActionForm? And if so do this
>
>in the form bean definition:
>

><form-property name="things" type="java.lang.String[]" />  ?

I am not use what you mean by a mulit select. Select options? Or multi
row form bean.
In either case, I avoid using [] arrays, by having formBean implement a
collection.
hth,
.V

--
Vic Cekvenich,
Struts Instructor,

Advanced <a href ="baseBeans.com">Struts Training</a> and project recovery in North East.
Open Source <a href ="baseBeans.com">Content Management</a>  basicPortal sofware
Best practice<a href ="baseBeans.com">Struts Support</a> v.1.1 helper ScafflodingXPress