Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by "Jason E. Stewart" <ja...@openinformatics.com> on 2002/12/16 23:33:49 UTC

Build system overhaul, XERCESCROOT

Hey All,

The Xerces build process is really getting on my nerves, two issues in
particular:

1) the use of runConfigure instead of using configure directly
2) the need for setting XERCESCROOT

Especially 2) is causing me great headaches. I have three or four
different versions on disk at once, and far too many times have I
failed to reset that variable and instead of building the version I
intended I rebuilt a different one entirely and my linking fails
spectacularily.

I would like to begin shifting the functionality into configure.in and
starting to use the GNU autoconf system the way it was meant to be
used.

Before I begin, is there some reason XERCESCROOT is used? And
runConfigure?

Cheers,
jas.

Re: Build system overhaul, XERCESCROOT

Posted by Elizabeth Walkup <ew...@gs.washington.edu>.
Ack! I forgot to add, that it would be really nice if the make/configure
files could set the $LIBS variable by querying the chosen gcc/g++
compilers. The ALLLIBS default in $XERCESCROOT/src/xercesc/Makefile.in
leads to trouble if you have gcc/g++ installed in a non-standard
location.

I'm interested in seeing these improvements because I'm working on
an open source project in the biological sciences. In order to make
our tool usable by the our target audience, it has to be released as
both executable and source for MacOS9, MacOSX, Linux, and Windows
and the source has to compile with a minimum of user intervention.
Many of our users do not have permission to install programs on their
systems. Instead they must ask a sysadmin to do it for them. The
more special steps there are, the more likely they won't see it
installed.

-- Elizabeth

Posted by Elizabeth Walkup <ew...@gs.washington.edu>.