Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Brent Andrewsen <ba...@novell.com> on 2005/11/07 17:03:24 UTC

RE: Help configuring mod_jk! Apache 2.0.54 + Tomcat 5.5.12 + SuSE Linux 10.0

You may need to install the apache2-devel packages in Yast which you can
find by searching for "apache2", then selecting apache2-devel.

You will also need to add an entry for "jk" in this file:
/etc/sysconfig/apache2

APACHE_MODULES="access actions alias auth auth_dbm autoindex cgi
deflate dir env expires headers include log_config mime negotiation
rewrite setenvif ssl status suexec userdir php4 jk"

Be sure to restart Apache.

Brent

_______________________________

Brent Andrewsen
Web Application Engineer
bandrewsen@novell.com
Office: (801) 861-2909

Novell, Inc.
Software for the Open Enterprise
www.novell.com/open

<rn...@qwest.net> wrote:
> Dhaval,
>
> Yes -  I just checked. The only Linux binaries are for SLES9 -  where
were
> they when I needed them? And you really do want the most recent
version -  it
> includes the "/JkStatus" control panel for quiescing and adjusting
load
> balancing.
>
> If you will take a bit of time I believe I (and others) can walk you
through
> the compile of the connector sources. Its really pretty easy.
>
> Here's what I did (assumes you are in a bash shell).
>
> 1) I downloaded this:
>
> http://mirrors.playboy.com/apache/tomcat/tomcat-
connectors/jk/source/jk- 1.2.
> 14/jakarta- tomcat- connectors- 1.2.14.1- src.tar.gz
>
> 2) Then expanded in /opt so I ended up with
> /opt/jakarta- tomcat- connectors- 1.2.14.1- src -  but any location
should be
> fine.
>
> 3) Change you working directory to
> /jakarta- tomcat- connectors- 1.2.14.1- src/jk and read the
BUILD.txt
>    It reads:
>      For the impatient Apache admins:
>      $> cd native
>      $> ./configure -- with- apxs=/usr/sbin/apxs (or where ever the
apxs/apxs2
> is)
>      $> make
>      $> su - c 'make install'
>    but also points you at:
> http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/connectors- doc/howto/apache.html
>
> As I remember the simple instructions did not work completely -  I
believe
> the problem was (in my case) with SLES9 not having the correct
"apxs"
> (Apache Portable Runtime??) version. But I was able to solve that
problem
> pretty easily  -  sorry, cannot remember how, it was three months ago
:(.

> Try the simple steps above and report back. One of us should be able
to step
> you through this.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
>  -  Richard

SuSE
> Linux 10.0
>
> Richard,
>
> Thank you so much for your quick response.
>
> I forgot to mention I am using 32 bit architecture. I have AMD Athlon
XP
> 2000+ with SuSE 10 and Windows XP dual boot.
>
> I tried to compile the binaries but could not able to compile it. I
found
> the document from http://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-
doc/howto/apache.html
> but it does not have compilation intruction for linux. Can you able
> provide me some instructions? I know it's little off topic to this
forum but
> since you have already done it, it would be easy for you to guide
me.

> Based upon your email, I reliazed that the .so that I used is for
SuSE Liux
> Enterprise Server 9 (SLES) and that too for 64bit. Do jakarta have
binary
> for 32 bit linux? I know they have nice .so files for Win32 and OSX.
( :( )

> Thanks again.
>
> Regards,
> Dhaval
>
> ---  Richard Mixon <rn...@qwest.net> wrote:
>
>> Dhaval,
>>
>> I hope I can help -  at least a bit.
>>
>> First, your assumption as to whether you have the correct mod_jk
binar
>> is probably correct -  IF you are running x64 architecture hardware
(an
>> AMD64 or one of the Intel Xeon's with 64 bit extensions). I am
running
>> SuSE Enterprise Server 9 (SLES9) on our dual- Opteron servers. I
ended
>> up downloading jakarta- tomcat- connectors- 1.2.14.1- src and
compiling
>> them. I usually prefer to search and search for an RPM, but in this

>> case it was quite easy -  once I figured out the maze of
subdirectories
>> under the expanded source package :)
>>
>> So ... for my situation mod_jk.so ends up in
/usr/lib64/apache2/mod_jk.so.
>> I'm just getting started with Open SuSE 10.0, so I am not sure if
the
>> location will be the same or not. If you are not using 64 bit
>> hardware, then it would probably be /usr/lib/apache2/mod_jk.so (and

>> you would need the 32bit module also).
>>
>> Hope this helps -  Richard

SuSE
>> Linux 10.0
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I installed SuSE 10.0 via DVD. I have added this mirror
>> (ftp://ftp- linux.cc.gatech.edu/pub/opensuse/distribution/SL- 10.0-
OSS/i
>> nst- so
>> urce)
>> as the installation source in YaST so that I don't need DVD in
future.

>> I installed Apache2 (ver. 2.0.54), apache2- debuginfo, apache2-
devel,
>> apache2- doc, apache2- example- pages, apache2- prefork via YaST. I
have
>> downloaded Tomcat 5.5.12 from website. Btw. I am using J2SE
1.5.0_05.

>> The problem that I have is installing mod_jk with above
configuration.
>> I downloaded the linux binary of Tomcat connector aka mod_jk from
>> http://www.apache.org/dist/tomcat/tomcat-
connectors/jk/binaries/linux/