Posted to dev@mxnet.apache.org by Alex Zai <az...@gmail.com> on 2018/12/11 00:00:18 UTC

Include MKLDNN into default mxnet pip package

Continuation from the following thread:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/bcb1bd5046ff51049a0556098e756578f6fa6564831d77fddb56432f@%3Cdev.mxnet.apache.org%3E

I am also +1 for making it on master and testing until 1.5.0. We can decide
later on (before 1.5.0) to enable mkldnn as default for the nightly build
(pip install --pre build) to try to get more feedback if needed.

- What the story is like when there's no AVX instructions present on CPUs.
Do we get an illegal instruction error, or does it fallback gracefully?
According to this issue (
https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/issues/11911), AVX2 is the
minimum requirement for pre-build binaries.

- Are there any outstanding issues when MKLDNN is enabled?
-There is one issues with quantization int8 of mkldnn (will create issue
about it when team gives me reproducible code snippet). Additionally, we
are waiting to merge the PR to build mkldnn statically with mac/linux when
building from source after MKL is added to the CI.

- MKLDNN is a submodule dependency, are we pulling the latest commit or
releases? If not we should move to releases before we make it a default
I agree. We should tag mxnet only to releases from now on. Currently it is
tagged to 0.17.1

Please let me know if there any other outstanding issues, else we are going
to make mkldnn / cmake default in the Make/CMakefile.

Alex

Re: Include MKLDNN into default mxnet pip package

Posted by Naveen Swamy <mn...@gmail.com>.
Great effort Alex and also folks from Intel.

+1 to make MKLDNN default.

Posted by "Kumar, Vikas" <vi...@amazon.com.INVALID>.
+1

Posted by "Zhao, Patric" <pa...@intel.com>.