Posted to dev@polygene.apache.org by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> on 2017/02/26 04:49:54 UTC

Build system

Paul, others,...

I find it quite remarkable that Polygene is one of the small projects at
ASF, but has one of the most sophisticated build systems, far more advanced
that most other projects, with only a handful of exceptions. And those
cases, I doubt is as elegant as what we have here.

Anyway, just want to highlight the impressive work that Paul has put into
it.

A few things that practically no other projects do;

  * License checks
  * License and attribution aggregation.
  * Docker container launch (if possible) for  integration tests with
foreign systems.
  * After building the source release, building that release itself to
ensure it also works.

I am sure I have forgotten many important details, and invite Paul to
expand this list. I think it can serve as inspiration for others, who are
using (or want to start to use) Gradle.

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer