Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by David Worms <da...@simpledesign.com> on 2003/01/28 00:05:38 UTC

Avalonized WebCrawler

Lucene developers,

This mail follow a few threads which took place 2-3 months ago on both
Lucene and Avalon lists:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=lucene-dev&m=101518595918785&w=2
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=avalon-users&m=103706452017829&w=2

They were related to porting the WebCrawler app into a component based
application using Avalon. During the past few days, I did just that and
I will be happy to share the code with the community. There is still a
lot to do, but my goal was to contact you once the code reach a similar
level of development as the one in CVS. I did not contact the list
before because I wasn't sure were I was going :), and because I do not
have a CVS access at Apache.

You can download the code @ http://67.116.155.180/~wdavidw/crawler.zip

Both the sources and binaries are present. On my local environment, I
use Maven as the build system. It isn't included in the dowload because
some of the jar I used are recent CVS snapshots not present on the
Maven remote location( ibiblio.org). If I am not mistaken, all the
required library are present in the zip file.

Overall, the code behave just like the present crawler hosted on the
Lucene Sandbox repository. Since I mostly did some re-factoring on this
code-base, it will be quite easy for the developer(s) to find out what
happens. All the comments, methods, ...., remains the same. I only
changes the most relevant parts. You will find the code divided in 2
packages, the original package "de.lanlab.*" and the new one
"org.crawl.*". The reason behind this separation is that everytime I
created a new component, I moved its code into the second package for
clarity.

As the Avalon container, I choose to use Fortress. It is a stable and
almost released container (a matter of weeks). I am seriously thinking
about Merlin, but it is no priority for now.

Here is a list of the created components/services:

fetcher-task-factory
host-manager
host-resolver
url-message-factory
web-document-factory
message-handler
message-listener-selector
  . url-length-stage
  . url-scope-stage
  . robot-exclusion-stage
  . url-visited-stage
  . known-path-stage
  . fetcher-stage
storage-pipeline
thread-monitor
fetcher-thread-factory
server-thread-factory
url-normalizer
url-visited-manager
one more to appear: thread-pool-manager

Configuration:
At this time, every config property is hard coded in the component
class. It will be a fast and easy task to integrate the config file
because the component already implement the Avalon configuration
lifecycle.

Logging:
I had some hard time using fortress logging service. For now, only two
logger are working, one for the fortress system, the other for the
crawler. Once i understand where the logging issues is coming from,
each component could have his own logger without any code changes.

Integration:
Fortress can easily be plugged to any time of environment or as a
standalone application. I am planning to write a phoenix block soon.

Client connection:
The current Observer service will change completly. Instead of printing
informations to the console, it will export some sort of application
state descriptor object via AltRMI, or anything else. It will be up to
the client to render those information.

Speed:
When running the current code against the Avalonized one, I get very
similar speed results. The only difference is that it takes somehow
longer for the new one to reach a stable speed (about 15 secondes).

Avalon:
I kept having a simplistic use of Avalon. For now, I didn't want to use
all the tools available. There are few domains were Avalon could
provide more functionalities:
- the lifestyle handler (both in Fortress and Merlin), which could
replace the usage of factories for example.
- the thread library, because I didn't want to change any of the
current code.
- the event library, which will reinforce an SEDA architecture.

Javadocs:
None, I kept the ones present in the past. I will describe every
service in more details soon, when I finish with all the refactoring.

Lucene:
I think Lucene should be separated from the crawler. One could easily
write a service which will schedule crawling process and export the
results. Then, this service could use those results to create/update a
Lucene index.

Future:
I am committed to pursue the development of the crawler. I hope many
current and future developers will follow me. With your consent, I
would likely move this project to SourceForge, but all opinions are
welcome.

David

Re: Avalonized WebCrawler

Posted by Clemens Marschner <cm...@lanlab.de>.
Great news, this will push us forward!

Will have a look on it immediately (after breakfast, of course ! :-)

Clemens

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Avalonized WebCrawler

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
David,

Re: Avalonized WebCrawler

Posted by David Worms <da...@simpledesign.com>.
On Thursday, January 30, 2003, at 06:44  AM, ckirkendall wrote:

> David,
> 	I have been trying to look at the code.  However the source
> organization in the zip does not follow the jar classes.  Instead of
> "org.crawl.*" the files are located in "com.celavi.*".

I refactor the code before sending it to the list. Other than that, it
is the same.

> Also I have not
> been able to get anything other than google to run.  It looks like this
> is hardcoded into you Main.java. I may just be a little confused on how
> to use this though.  Should I be using your Main.java or another class.
>
> Creighton

You are right, everything is hard coded,... but ready to be configured.
I wanted first to get a working prototype, send it to the list, and see
were the code could go. I'll be working on the code for the next 2
weeks and, then, send something a little more usefull. Otherwise, you
should be able to create an ant script (or maven..) and compile it, run
it, hack it.

David

Re: Avalonized WebCrawler

Posted by ckirkendall <ck...@hobsons-us.com>.
David,
	I have been trying to look at the code.  However the source
organization in the zip does not follow the jar classes.  Instead of
"org.crawl.*" the files are located in "com.celavi.*".  Also I have not

Re: Avalonized WebCrawler

Posted by David Worms <da...@simpledesign.com>.

Re: Avalonized WebCrawler

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
David,

I haven't had the change to look at the code yet, but I wanted to
support what Clemens said (before you start a project on SF).
Please give us some time to evaluate this.
I think Lucene user community would benefit if things were under a
single Jakarta/Lucene roof, too.
Give us some time to have a look at your work and see if it's suitable
for Lucene Sandbox.....a few seconds passes....I just skimmed your
email and my feeling is that Lucene Sandbox would be the place to put
your work, if you don't mind us doing that.

Thanks again.
Otis

Re: Avalonized WebCrawler

Posted by Clemens Marschner <cm...@lanlab.de>.