Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Ryan Daly <da...@ctc.com> on 2004/11/23 15:03:20 UTC

OutOfMemory exceptions

All:

I've seen a few threads regarding the OutOfMemory problems.  Has it been
decided that reloading webapps is one of the causes of this?  And, if
so, would an undeploy and a new deploy fix that issue?

Thanks.

Re: OutOfMemory exceptions

Posted by Quinton Delpeche <qu...@vippayroll.co.za>.
On Tuesday 23 November 2004 16:03, Ryan Daly wrote:
> All:

Hi,

> I've seen a few threads regarding the OutOfMemory problems.  Has it been
> decided that reloading webapps is one of the causes of this?  And, if
> so, would an undeploy and a new deploy fix that issue?

Check the memory usage of your Tomcat server using the manager application.
Should be under the Server Status option. This will give you a line something
like this:

JVM
Free memory: 1017.68 MB Total memory: 1023.93 MB Max memory: 2047.93 MB

Normally the JVM is set up to only use 64MB of memory by default.

Add the following line to your catalina.sh file (Unix/Linux):
CATALINA_OPTS="-Xincgc -Xms1024m -Xmx2048m"

Or add the following line to your catalina.bat fil (Windows):
set CATALINA_OPTS="-Xincgc -Xms1024m -Xmx2048m"

I put this just under the JAVADIR line in that file (which is line 50 in my
file). Restarted tomcat and all my memory messages went away.

> Thanks.
Quinton Delpeche
Internal Systems Developer
Softline VIP

Telephone: +27 12 420 7000
Direct:    +27 12 420 7007
Facsimile: +27 12 420 7344

http://www.vippayroll.co.za/

What good is a ticket to the good life, if you can't find the
entrance?