Posted to user@uima.apache.org by Aaron Kaplan <Aa...@xrce.xerox.com> on 2007/08/28 16:36:05 UTC

UIMA and MPEG-7; OASIS TC

Does anyone have experience using MPEG-7 with UIMA?  In particular, I'm
wondering if anyone has defined a UIMA type system that can be mapped
straightforwardly to/from MPEG-7.

At http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/uima/charter.php I read that
OASIS UIMA technical committee was

> ... charged with providing recommendations regarding how other
> requirements should or should NOT be addressed or related to by the
> UIMA specification including:

 > 6. Support for existing metadata models and their representations
> (... MPEG-7, etc.)

Are any members of that committee reading this mailing list?  Can
you tell me where this effort stands and what is planned?

Thanks
-Aaron

Re: UIMA and MPEG-7; OASIS TC

Posted by Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de>.
Aaron Kaplan wrote:
> Does anyone have experience using MPEG-7 with UIMA?  In particular, I'm
> wondering if anyone has defined a UIMA type system that can be mapped
> straightforwardly to/from MPEG-7.
>
> At http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/uima/charter.php I read that
> OASIS UIMA technical committee was
>
>> ... charged with providing recommendations regarding how other
>> requirements should or should NOT be addressed or related to by the
>> UIMA specification including:

>> 6. Support for existing metadata models and their representations
>> (... MPEG-7, etc.)
>
> Are any members of that committee reading this mailing list?  Can

Yes ;-)

> you tell me where this effort stands and what is planned?

Note: I'm not speaking for the rest of the TC.  Having said that, I
don't think you should expect any concrete UIMA data models for
MPEG-7 out of the UIMA spec, at least not in version 1.  The spec will
make sure that UIMA is powerful enough so that such models can
be expressed in UIMA -- a concrete implementation, such as a type
system, is not planned.

--Thilo