Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Robert P. J. Day" <rp...@mindspring.com> on 2004/12/20 11:30:59 UTC

can i merge with a working copy *and* a URL?

  some inconsistency between docs on "svn merge".  from "svn help
merge":

$ svn help merge
merge: Apply the differences between two sources to a working copy path.
usage: 1. merge sourceURL1[@N] sourceURL2[@M] [WCPATH]
       2. merge sourceWCPATH1@N sourceWCPATH2@M [WCPATH]
       3. merge -r N:M SOURCE[@REV] [WCPATH]

  this suggests that i can't merge when one of my sources is a source
URL, and the other is a WC source path.  is that true?

  meanwhile, the book complete reference page reads:

"Synopsis

svn merge sourceURL1[@N] sourceURL2[@M] [WCPATH]
svn merge -r N:M SOURCE [PATH]"

which doesn't seem as restrictive.  or is it?  bit of a disagreement
here.

rday

Re: can i merge with a working copy *and* a URL?

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Dec 20, 2004, at 5:30 AM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>   some inconsistency between docs on "svn merge".  from "svn help
> merge":
>
> $ svn help merge
> merge: Apply the differences between two sources to a working copy
> path.
> usage: 1. merge sourceURL1[@N] sourceURL2[@M] [WCPATH]
>        2. merge sourceWCPATH1@N sourceWCPATH2@M [WCPATH]
>        3. merge -r N:M SOURCE[@REV] [WCPATH]
>
>   this suggests that i can't merge when one of my sources is a source
> URL, and the other is a WC source path.  is that true?
>
>   meanwhile, the book complete reference page reads:
>
> "Synopsis
>
> svn merge sourceURL1[@N] sourceURL2[@M] [WCPATH]
> svn merge -r N:M SOURCE [PATH]"
>
> which doesn't seem as restrictive.  or is it?  bit of a disagreement
> here.

The book is out-of-date.  It's displaying syntax from an older version
of svn.  But:  that restriction has always existed, I believe.  The new
'svn help merge' is just more explicit about describing it.