Posted to dev@beehive.apache.org by Rich Feit <ri...@gmail.com> on 2005/10/10 20:36:56 UTC

Beehive/Spring/Struts/WebWork

Hi all,

I've been on a bunch of emails about the idea of a new web framework that would somehow unify Beehive, Spring, Struts and WebWork -- at least the parts of all these projects that overlap.  As far as I know, none of these groups has officially signed onto any such idea, and the parameters of the project definitely have not been hashed out yet.  I'm wondering what sorts of reactions people here have to the idea at this stage.  If it happens, should Beehive be involved?  Are there parameters that would make this a good thing for Beehive to join?

We had a brief exchange about this on the PMC this weekend, mostly to confirm that it's a discussion that we should have on this list.  So here we are.

Some notes:

    - I'm attaching the initial email I got from Patrick Lightbody (WebWork), along with another from Keith Donald (Spring).  I forwarded the entire chain to the PMC and it was apparently overwhelming and of marginal value, so I'll try to limit it to important messages.

    - I want to stress that *if* this is something we should be a part of, then it is up to us (the Beehive community) to establish the ways in which we would need this to work.  Other projects will have other opinions/needs.  If we do this, I think that scoping the project and setting it up will be the hardest parts.

    - I am currently on a private thread with four other people about this.  As you'll see from the original email, they're trying to keep the discussion limited to one representative from each project until there's resolve to go forward with it.  I'm actually in favor of the project -- I think it would be good for Beehive and for the community at large -- but as this discussion shapes up, I would like to be replaced by someone who's more skeptical.  I think this will help us move forward (the whole Nixon/China thing :) ).

    - The attached email from Keith is a technical exchange he and I had about how Beehive Page Flow and Spring Web Flow could be integrated.  One of our PMC members expressed concern about this, so I wanted to include it and to assert that this isn't committing us to anything.  It was meant to be an exploration of whether we could work together, and I think it's enough to show that we can.  For now, I'll drop this discussion until we have a clearer idea of Beehive's involvement.

It's really important that we figure out if (and *how*) this would work for Beehive.  Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Rich

Re: Beehive/Spring/Struts/WebWork

Posted by Rich Feit <ri...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

As you know, the discussion about framework consolidation has been going
on in a private thread among four  people.  It's understandable that in
order to move forward on defining goals, requirements, etc., this can't
be expanded to include the entirety of all four dev communities
(hundreds of people).  For Beehive to be involved, though, there needs
to be wider coverage -- I don't believe it's possible for one person to
represent us adequately.  Given this, I'd like to propose that Daryl and
Eddie be added as representatives of Beehive on the thread.  The job of
all the representatives would be to engage in the discussions, report on
them, and of course come back to the Beehive community if decisions
about Beehive's future need to be made.

Does anyone have any issues with this?  Let me know -- I'm definitely
trying to do the right thing for Beehive here.

Thanks,
Rich

Posted by Rich Feit <ri...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Glauber Reis <gl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rich Feit <ri...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daryl Olander <do...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rich Feit <ri...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daryl Olander <do...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daryl Olander <do...@gmail.com>.
Pulling from the mail below to summerize (emphasis is mine):

From: Patrick Lightbody <pl...@gmail.com>
To: Rich Feit <ri...@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 08:20:02 -0700
Subject: Re: Project Clarity Kickoff