Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by Victoria Vitaver <vi...@tt.com.au> on 2005/07/06 03:20:39 UTC

Query about installing Lenya 1.4alpha

 Hi,

I'm trying to install Lenya 1.4 alpha to use with Tomcat (5.0.28)
However I am having a little trouble understanding the instructions on [1]

specifically this line :
"The following libraries must be placed in the endorsed library directory for your deployment."

What is the 'endorsed' library directory for my deployment .. is it just "$LENYA_HOME/lib" by default or ??

Thanks,

- vica

[1] http://lenya.apache.org/1_4/installation/source_version.html

Re: Query about installing Lenya 1.4alpha

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Victoria Vitaver wrote:

> Background: I've been running lenya 1.2.3 quite happily on the same
> tomcat, did a build clean & made sure that no traces of 1.2.3 lenya
> were left on tomcat...have I possibly missed something there ?

can you post your local.build.propertie file?

Michi

> Sorry, and Thank you.
>
> vica

Michael Wechner

Re: Query about installing Lenya 1.4alpha

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Thorsten Scherler wrote:

>On Wed, 2005-07-06 at 19:50 -0400, Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:
>

>>Victoria Vitaver wrote:
>>

>>>Jann : you are absolutely right .. took me nearly the whole day to
>>>figure out that its not libraries conflicting .. but the targets I'm
>>>calling that are wrong ..
>>>iirc in 1.2.3 you only needed to do ./build.sh for it to deploy onto
>>>tomcat, but this is not sufficient for 1.4. Maybe it would be an
>>>improvement to put this up in section 4 under '2. Installation with
>>>Apache Tomcat'[1].
>>>

>>ah, i think michi needs to port the server type build settings to 1.4
>>

>you mean we have to do this. ;-)

thanks :-)

It shouldn't be very hard to port this functionality. If I find
a minute then I will do it, otherwise let me know if you need help.

Michi

--
Michael Wechner

Re: Query about installing Lenya 1.4alpha

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
I would be happy to help in testing the installation under Eclipse if
you decide to clean it up. I am not a big expert in Java development but
I am a pretty experience system manager and can follow instructions
moderately well.
I have Windows and Linux available with a test Tomcat on Windows and a
production Tomcat running virtual hosting.

Ron

Thorsten Scherler wrote:

>On Wed, 2005-07-06 at 19:50 -0400, Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:
>

>>Victoria Vitaver wrote:
>>

>>>Jann : you are absolutely right .. took me nearly the whole day to
>>>figure out that its not libraries conflicting .. but the targets I'm
>>>calling that are wrong ..
>>>iirc in 1.2.3 you only needed to do ./build.sh for it to deploy onto
>>>tomcat, but this is not sufficient for 1.4. Maybe it would be an
>>>improvement to put this up in section 4 under '2. Installation with
>>>Apache Tomcat'[1].
>>>

>>ah, i think michi needs to port the server type build settings to 1.4
>>

>you mean we have to do this. ;-)
>
>Yes we have to finish up to port all 1.2.x stuff to 1.4.
>
>IMO we have to focus our energy now more on 1.4 rather then 1.2.x,
>because it is has better and clearer SoC and is our future.
>
>salu2

Re: Using custom XML style sheets for exporting

Posted by so...@gmail.com.
On 7/11/05, Bart van Dijk <Ba...@unilever.com> wrote:
> Thanks! I've already implemented the parameter-selector and this works fine.
> But now I want to export my website to two different directories using two
> different stylesheets and so far I've not mamanged to export pages with
> different stylesheets. Do you also have a solution for this? Do you think
> the cocoon-views method will work?

I looked at your first post.  You probably want different task id names.

An "export" is usually a directory crawler.  The examples you gave
specify the stylesheet.  If that is true, it should bypass the XMAPs,
making cocoon-views and most of what we discussed irrelevant.  All you
need is a crawler with a transformer.  Crawlers are easy to write in
every OS's commandline/shell/batch language. Just make a list of every
XML file under {pub}/content/live, then loop each one through a
transformer with the output under another directory name.  Anybody
know a command line transformer that takes an input file, an XSL file,
and an output filename? Does the export utility have one?

> By the way, there's a lot of useful information on your website! Good job!
Thanks.  It's my second brain.  I document everything, but I may not
be able to find it if I don't add it to the website.  The website
keeps everything organized.

I have not thought about exporting.  Our site went live this weekend,
and we are still adding content.  The visitor functionality may be
finished; I hope making Flow use i18n was the last hole.  Now I am
working on making the CMS GUI usable by human beings.

solprovider

RE: Using custom XML style sheets for exporting

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Bart van Dijk wrote:

>Hi Michi!
>
>Thank you, I've tried to implement the code, but I can't get it working.
>Maybe you can help me a little more? Sorry, I'm not a Lenya expert...
>

>I've added this parameter in the tasks.xconf:
>
>  <parameter name="cocoon-view" value="external"/>

this parameter needs to be passed to the actual Java class

org.apache.lenya.cms.publishing.StaticHTMLExporter

which means this class would need to be patched/enhanced slightly
by addind the cocoon-view parameter to the URL

>Now I want to add changes in the pipeline that builds the page in
>publication-sitemap.xmap, like this

I actually meant real cocoon-views:

<map:views>
  <map:view from-label ....

HTH

Michi

><map:select type="parameter">
>	<map:parameter name="parameter-selector-test" value="{cocoon-view}"/>
>      <!-- executes iff the value of cocoon-view equals
>             "external" (without quotes) -->
>	<map:when test="external">
>	  <map:transform src="xslt/page2xhtml-external.xsl">
>		<map:parameter name="root"
>value="{page-envelope:context-prefix}/{2}/{3}"/>
>		<map:parameter name="url" value="{5}"/>
>		<map:parameter name="document-id" value="{page-envelope:document-id}"/>
>		<map:parameter name="document-type"
>value="{page-envelope:document-type}"/>
>		<map:parameter name="language" value="{page-envelope:document-language}"/>
>	  </map:transform>
>  	</map:when>
></map:select>
>
>Is this code wrong or am I supposed to move this code to another pipeline?
>
>I hope you can help me,
>Bart

Michael Wechner

RE: Using custom XML style sheets for exporting

>I want to use the export function to produce two different websites based
on
>the same information. The content is more or less the same but the layout
>differs. Also, using only CSS is not sufficient. Therefore I was thinking
of
>using two different XML stylesheets (for example page2xhtml-export1.xsl and
>page2xhtml-export2.xsl) but I don't know how to configure the export
>function for using different stylesheets. Is it possible to do something
>like this?

I think it makes more sense to enhance it by a cocoon view
parameter, e.g.

<parameter name="cocoon-view" value="export2"/>

whereas the cocoon-view would have to be implemented into
the sitemap of course.

Makes sense?

Michi

>    <task id="export"
>class="org.apache.lenya.cms.publishing.StaticHTMLExporter">
>      <parameter name="export-path" value="work/export/export1"/>
>      <parameter name="stylesheet" value="page2xhtml-export1.xsl"/>
>    </task>
>
>    <task id="export"
>class="org.apache.lenya.cms.publishing.StaticHTMLExporter">
>      <parameter name="export-path" value="work/export/export2"/>
>      <parameter name="stylesheet" value="page2xhtml-export2.xsl"/>
>    </task>
>

>Regards,
>Bart

Michael Wechner

RE: Using custom XML style sheets for exporting

Posted by Bart van Dijk <Ba...@Unilever.com>.
Yes, that makes more sense indeed, but I guess there's no standard way of
configuring the export function then? I also couldn't find that much
documentation on the Lenya website about the StaticHTMLExporter. Is there
more to configure instead of only the server-uri, server-port,
publication-id, export-path-prefix, uris and substitute-regexp? And where
can I find more docs on how to export files (if there is)?

Bart

>I want to use the export function to produce two different websites based
on
>the same information. The content is more or less the same but the layout
>differs. Also, using only CSS is not sufficient. Therefore I was thinking
of
>using two different XML stylesheets (for example page2xhtml-export1.xsl and
>page2xhtml-export2.xsl) but I don't know how to configure the export
>function for using different stylesheets. Is it possible to do something
>like this?

I think it makes more sense to enhance it by a cocoon view
parameter, e.g.

<parameter name="cocoon-view" value="export2"/>

whereas the cocoon-view would have to be implemented into
the sitemap of course.

Makes sense?

Michi

>    <task id="export"
>class="org.apache.lenya.cms.publishing.StaticHTMLExporter">
>      <parameter name="export-path" value="work/export/export1"/>
>      <parameter name="stylesheet" value="page2xhtml-export1.xsl"/>
>    </task>
>
>    <task id="export"
>class="org.apache.lenya.cms.publishing.StaticHTMLExporter">
>      <parameter name="export-path" value="work/export/export2"/>
>      <parameter name="stylesheet" value="page2xhtml-export2.xsl"/>
>    </task>
>

>Regards,
>Bart

Michael Wechner

Re: Using custom XML style sheets for exporting

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Bart van Dijk wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I want to use the export function to produce two different websites based on
>the same information. The content is more or less the same but the layout
>differs. Also, using only CSS is not sufficient. Therefore I was thinking of
>using two different XML stylesheets (for example page2xhtml-export1.xsl and
>page2xhtml-export2.xsl) but I don't know how to configure the export
>function for using different stylesheets. Is it possible to do something
>like this?

I think it makes more sense to enhance it by a cocoon view
parameter, e.g.

<parameter name="cocoon-view" value="export2"/>

whereas the cocoon-view would have to be implemented into
the sitemap of course.

Makes sense?

Michi

>    <task id="export"
>class="org.apache.lenya.cms.publishing.StaticHTMLExporter">
>      <parameter name="export-path" value="work/export/export1"/>
>      <parameter name="stylesheet" value="page2xhtml-export1.xsl"/>
>    </task>
>
>    <task id="export"
>class="org.apache.lenya.cms.publishing.StaticHTMLExporter">
>      <parameter name="export-path" value="work/export/export2"/>
>      <parameter name="stylesheet" value="page2xhtml-export2.xsl"/>
>    </task>
>

>Regards,
>Bart

Michael Wechner

Using custom XML style sheets for exporting

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 2005-07-06 at 19:50 -0400, Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:
> Victoria Vitaver wrote:
>
> > Jann : you are absolutely right .. took me nearly the whole day to
> > figure out that its not libraries conflicting .. but the targets I'm
> > calling that are wrong ..
> > iirc in 1.2.3 you only needed to do ./build.sh for it to deploy onto
> > tomcat, but this is not sufficient for 1.4. Maybe it would be an
> > improvement to put this up in section 4 under '2. Installation with
> > Apache Tomcat'[1].
>
> ah, i think michi needs to port the server type build settings to 1.4

you mean we have to do this. ;-)

Yes we have to finish up to port all 1.2.x stuff to 1.4.

IMO we have to focus our energy now more on 1.4 rather then 1.2.x,
because it is has better and clearer SoC and is our future.

salu2
--
thorsten

"Together we stand, divided we fall!"
Hey you (Pink Floyd)

Re: Query about installing Lenya 1.4alpha

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Victoria Vitaver <vi...@tt.com.au>.

>>> you can always save yourself some headaches, and use jetty
>>>

>> Not a very helpful answer indeed ;-)
>>
>> I have similiar problems and did use ./build.sh install in order to
>> properly deploy lenya to tomcat.
>>

> Maybe Victoria made a configuration typo within local.build.properties.
>
> Michi

Thank you guys for your answers!  (Gregor: the headache was a necessary evil in my case :p )

Jann : you are absolutely right .. took me nearly the whole day to figure out that its not libraries conflicting .. but the targets I'm calling that are wrong ..

iirc in 1.2.3 you only needed to do ./build.sh for it to deploy onto tomcat, but this is not sufficient for 1.4. Maybe it would be an improvement to put this up in section 4 under '2. Installation with Apache Tomcat'[1].

Vica

Re: Query about installing Lenya 1.4alpha

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Jann Forrer wrote:

>On Wed, 6 Jul 2005, Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:
>

>>Victoria Vitaver wrote:
>>

>>>Ok, thank you ... somehow I am still struggling to get my lenya to
>>>deploy properly onto tomcat :
>>>

>>you can always save yourself some headaches, and use jetty
>>

>Not a very helpful answer indeed ;-)
>
>I have similiar problems and did use ./build.sh install in order to
>properly deploy lenya to tomcat.

Maybe Victoria made a configuration typo within local.build.properties.

Michi

>Jann

Michael Wechner

Re: Query about installing Lenya 1.4alpha

Posted by Jann Forrer <ja...@id.unizh.ch>.

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Victoria Vitaver <vi...@tt.com.au>.
>> What is the 'endorsed' library directory for my deployment .. is it
>> just "$LENYA_HOME/lib" by default or ??
>

> for tomcat, it is common/endorsed

Ok, thank you ... somehow I am still struggling to get my lenya to deploy properly onto tomcat :

specific problem : files don't get copied over to tomcat even though when I do build.sh, Lenya tells me that I should start tomcat and all should be good. Tomcat starts without a problem.. just without knowing about lenya.

Tried deleting some libraries as per instructions on [1], however these libraries seem to 'reapear' when I build ... or are actually needed where they are (ie trying to follow instructions I deleted xercesImpl-2.6.2.jar and xml-apis.jar from $LENYA_HOME/lib only to discover that I cant build lenya without them).

Does my problem look like a library conflict or another issue altogether ?

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.