Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Emerson, Christopher" <CE...@orangelake.com> on 2010/11/24 15:31:11 UTC

Please help ... [MultiThreadedHttpConnectionManager cleanup]

Ever since we've upgraded to Tomcat 6 4 weeks ago, I've been fighting
the following error on shutdown ...

Nov 23, 2010 4:42:18 PM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader
clearReferencesThreads

SEVERE: A web application appears to have started a thread named
[MultiThreadedHttpConnectionManager cleanup] but has failed to stop it.
This is very likely to create a memory leak.

We're using Tomcat 6.0.29 and it reproduces on both Windows and Linux.

The application uses commons-httpclient-3.1.  I've done so many
different things to shut down the connection from the web application
that I'm convinced that it is either something with the
commons-httpclient-3.1 or Tomcat 6.  Since this did not happen with
Tomcat 5, I'm leaning towards Tomcat 6 problem.

Please let me know if anyone has seen this before.

Thanx!!!

Chris | Emerson

Team Lead & Architect

Information Technology

The Family of Orange Lake Resorts

8505 W. Irlo Bronson Memorial Hwy.

Kissimmee, FL 34747

Ext 1705

www.orangelake.com

DISCLAIMER:
Orange Lake Resorts does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message. Orange Lake Resorts reserves the right to monitor the transmission of this message and to take corrective action against any misuse or abuse of its e-mail system or other components of its network. The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and may be legally privileged.  It is intended solely for the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution, or any action or act of forbearance taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful. Any views expressed in this e-mail are those of the individual sender, except where the sender has been duly authorized to specifically state the content of the e-mail on behalf of Orange Lake Resorts.  The recipient should check this e-mail and any attachments for the presence of viruses. Orange Lake Resorts accepts no liability for any damage caused by any viruses transmitted by this e-mail.

RE: Please help ... [MultiThreadedHttpConnectionManager cleanup]

Posted by "Emerson, Christopher" <CE...@orangelake.com>.
Thank you!  I just wanted to eliminate Tomcat 6 as a variable and that
this wasn't a known issue.

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by "Emerson, Christopher" <CE...@orangelake.com>.
So if this is being started from Axis2 1.5.1 client, there's a bug in
the client code generation or the supporting Axis2 jars?

> Ever since we've upgraded to Tomcat 6 4 weeks ago, I've been fighting
> the following error on shutdown ...

You've actually had the error all along, but it's only the recent Tomcat
versions that have been detecting and reporting it.

> Nov 23, 2010 4:42:18 PM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader
> clearReferencesThreads
> SEVERE: A web application appears to have started a thread named
> [MultiThreadedHttpConnectionManager cleanup] but has failed to stop
it.
> This is very likely to create a memory leak.

Your webapp has started an auxiliary thread, but not terminated it
promptly.  You should be using a ServletContextListener that insures any
such extra threads have terminated before returning from its
contextDestroyed() method.

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Emerson, Christopher wrote:
> Ever since we've upgraded to Tomcat 6 4 weeks ago, I've been fighting
> the following error on shutdown ...
>

> Nov 23, 2010 4:42:18 PM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader
> clearReferencesThreads
>
> SEVERE: A web application appears to have started a thread named
> [MultiThreadedHttpConnectionManager cleanup] but has failed to stop it.
> This is very likely to create a memory leak.
>

> We're using Tomcat 6.0.29 and it reproduces on both Windows and Linux.
>
> The application uses commons-httpclient-3.1.  I've done so many
> different things to shut down the connection from the web application
> that I'm convinced that it is either something with the
> commons-httpclient-3.1 or Tomcat 6.  Since this did not happen with
> Tomcat 5, I'm leaning towards Tomcat 6 problem.

Let me see if I have got this right..

The reason why you are seeing the message above in Tomcat 6, and were not seeing it in
Tomcat 5, is because in Tomcat 6 there is added code which detects this kind of thing, and
prints messages in the logs about it.
Under Tomcat 5, the root reason happened too, but was not detected so you just did not
know about it.

If really this happens only when you shut down Tomcat, I don't think it should matter,
since you are stopping the whole JVM, including that rogue thread, the memory will get
cleaned up and there will be no leak left anyway.

The message is there in case you would just stop and restart this application, without
stopping the JVM in-between.  Then you would experience a memory leak, and then it could
matter in the long run.

This being said, it does indicate a cause for possible memory leaks in the future, so you
/might/ want to investigate further.

How am I doing ?

Re: Please help ... [MultiThreadedHttpConnectionManager cleanup]

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: Emerson, Christopher [mailto:CEmerson@orangelake.com]
>> Subject: RE: Please help ... [MultiThreadedHttpConnectionManager cleanup]
>
>> If I have 100+ concurrent users, won't that effect the other users?
>
> Each webapp should have its own copy of the HTTP client, so no.
>
>> Is it possible that I have something as simple as an incorrect
>> web.xml configuration?
>
> Can't tell without seeing it, can we?  As suggested earlier, you may well have an incorrect configuration for the libraries you're using, and their configuration may not be in WEB-INF/web.xml.
>
>> Another thing I noticed is that the servlet api is in Tomcat's lib
>> directory.  Should that be in the individual webapp directories?
>
> Absolutely not.  It's correctly placed where it is.

As long as "servlet api" above really means "servlet-api.jar" ... (?)

RE: Please help ... [MultiThreadedHttpConnectionManager cleanup]

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Emerson, Christopher [mailto:CEmerson@orangelake.com]
> Subject: RE: Please help ... [MultiThreadedHttpConnectionManager cleanup]

> Looking at the web.xml file used, could it have something to
> do with this listener as you said earlier?

Can't say - Tomcat is just the container here; you'll have to consult the Flex doc and support for information about using that tool.

It's interesting to see all the latent 3rd-party package bugs that the Tomcat memory leak detection mechanisms have uncovered - and that had previously been erroneously blamed on Tomcat.

 - Chuck

RE: Please help ... [MultiThreadedHttpConnectionManager cleanup]

Posted by "Emerson, Christopher" <CE...@orangelake.com>.
Thanx Charles!  Yes, I meant sevlet-api.jar, sorry.  The webapp is
written in Adobe Flex calling custom java apis.  Looking at the web.xml
file used, could it have something to do with this listener as you said
earlier?

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE web-app PUBLIC "-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD Web Application
2.3//EN" "http://java.sun.com/dtd/web-app_2_3.dtd">
<web-app>

    <display-name>BlazeDS</display-name>
    <description>BlazeDS Application</description>

    <!-- Http Flex Session attribute and binding listener support -->
    <listener>
        <listener-class>flex.messaging.HttpFlexSession</listener-class>
    </listener>

    <!-- MessageBroker Servlet -->
    <servlet>
        <servlet-name>MessageBrokerServlet</servlet-name>
        <display-name>MessageBrokerServlet</display-name>

<servlet-class>flex.messaging.MessageBrokerServlet</servlet-class>
        <init-param>
            <param-name>services.configuration.file</param-name>
            <param-value>/WEB-INF/flex/services-config.xml</param-value>
       </init-param>
        <load-on-startup>1</load-on-startup>
    </servlet>

    <servlet-mapping>
        <servlet-name>MessageBrokerServlet</servlet-name>
        <url-pattern>/messagebroker/*</url-pattern>
    </servlet-mapping>

    <welcome-file-list>
        <welcome-file>index.html</welcome-file>
        <welcome-file>index.htm</welcome-file>
    </welcome-file-list>

    <!-- for WebSphere deployment, please uncomment -->
    <!--
    <resource-ref>
        <description>Flex Messaging WorkManager</description>
        <res-ref-name>wm/MessagingWorkManager</res-ref-name>
        <res-type>com.ibm.websphere.asynchbeans.WorkManager</res-type>
        <res-auth>Container</res-auth>
    </resource-ref>
    -->

    <error-page>
       <error-code>404</error-code>
       <location>/main.html</location>
    </error-page>

</web-app>

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by "Emerson, Christopher" <CE...@orangelake.com>.
That scares me a little bit.  If I have 100+ concurrent users, won't
that effect the other users?

I've gone through every blog, jira, axis2 documentation site in the past
4 weeks and I've tried writing the client many ways with no luck so I
was pretty sure I am closing down the client the way I am supposed to.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Please help ... [MultiThreadedHttpConnectionManager cleanup]

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.
On 24/11/2010 14:41, Rob Gregory wrote:
>> Please let me know if anyone has seen this before.
>
> I bet whoever put that in as a feature is really glad for all the posts
> that followed.
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/MemoryLeakProtection or a quick google
> will provide you with some explanation, but basically it's most likely
> your code ;o)

At least we're finding the source of the problems, rather than people
blindly assuming that it's Tomcat's fault.

Nov 23, 2010 4:42:18 PM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader
clearReferencesThreads

SEVERE: A web application appears to have started a thread named
[MultiThreadedHttpConnectionManager cleanup] but has failed to stop it.
This is very likely to create a memory leak.

MultiThreadedHttpConnectionManager is a class from HTTP Client.

RE: Please help ... [MultiThreadedHttpConnectionManager cleanup]

Posted by Rob Gregory <Ro...@ibsolutions.com>.