Posted to marketing@cloudstack.apache.org by Giles Sirett <gi...@shapeblue.com> on 2013/03/19 14:10:30 UTC

press release draft

Please shoot from the hip with feedback.

Some Reading Notes first

1.       I've deliberately  mentioned Tomcat & Hadoop at beginning. Understand that some folks may feel that I shouldn't select any  particular projects as examples, but I think it draws attention for readers who don't really know about ASF

2.       I have emphasised governance, community & the fact that it was already mature code. That means, that actual software development has been de-emphasised.  I absolutely   know that there has been some great code written in the last 12 months, but I think it key to get over the message that it was already established.

3.       Chips comments are not Chips comments (yet) - they're written by me and Chip hasn't even seen them yet "Chip also said, I'll buy the beers"

4.       Ignore formatting for the moment

5.       The last 2 sections are direct copy/paste from wiki

6.       Logistical questions:

a.       Who releases this ?

b.      Who is the point of contact at bottom?

========PRESS RELEASE STARTS=========================

The Apache Software Foundation announces that CloudStack has become a top-tier project
CloudStack, the well-established, production ready,  Cloud Management Platform today became an Apache Foundation (ASF)  Top-Level project, signifying the projects ability to self-govern and become part of the wider ASF community.

[release location/date]
The Apache Software Foundation, the organisation  that governs Tomcat, Hadoop, and nealy 150 other open-source projects, today announced that Apache CloudStack  has graduated from the Apache Incubator to become a Top-Level Project (TLP), signifying that the Project's community and products have been well-governed under the ASF's meritocratic process and principles.

CloudStack is a well established cloud management platform, already widely in production use by many organisations. It is used to deliver Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) cloud computing in both private, public and hybrid-cloud environments. It has been proven to be both stable and highly scalable, underpinning production clouds over 30,000 physical nodes, in geo-distributed environments.

Asked to comment on the importance of becoming a Top-Level Project, Chip Childers, a member of the projects' Management Committee said:
"When CloudStack first became an Apache Incubator project, it was  a well-established cloud management platform, so its codebase was already mature.  It also had the advantage of having many long-term, large deployments which had proven the stability and scalability of the technology. Due to this, our work through Apache incubation  has focussed initially on both the governance of the project and also building a really strong, open  community around it. The project is now available  under the Apache license and we're proud that its being governed the 'Apache way', which is well understood and open, delivering so many great pieces of software over the years"

Apache CloudStack allows service providers to set up an on-demand, elastic cloud computing service and enterprises to set-up a private cloud for use by their own employees. Chip continued "We feel that Infrastructure -as-a-Service is the next generation of IT infrastructure and that people will demand open standards and open governance for such an important layer in their IT stack. That is why the CloudStack project meeting the rigorous standards of ASF governance is so significant. "

When asked to comment on the CloudStack community itself, Chip said: "we've managed to build a diverse, friendly and very open community around CloudStack. New members receive a really warm welcome and we make sure that all contributors  are on an equal footing, whether they are writing code or helping with any other aspect of the project. As well as online involvement,  we've already had a global collaboration conference and there are many CloudStack groups established in many different countries. "

About Apache CloudStack
Apache CloudStack is a complete software suite for creating Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) clouds. Target environments include service providers and enterprises.
*The Apache CloudStack platform enables service providers to set up an on-demand, elastic cloud computing service. It enables a utility computing service by allowing service providers to offer self-service virtual machine instances, storage volumes, and networking configurations over the Internet.
*The Apache CloudStack platform enables enterprises to set up a private cloud for use by their own employees. The current generation of virtualization infrastructure targets enterprise IT departments who manage virtual machines the same way they would manage physical machines. The Apache CloudStack platform, on the other hand, enables self-service of virtual machines by users outside of the IT department.
*As an open source IaaS, Apache CloudStack is available to individuals and organizations that wish to study and implement an IaaS for personal, educational, and/or production use.
The CloudStack platform includes the Management Server and extensions to industry-standard hypervisor software (e.g. XenServer, vSphere, KVM) installed on Hosts running in the cloud. The Management Server is deployed on a farm of management servers. The administrator provisions resources (Hosts, storage devices, IP addresses, etc.) into the Management Server and the Management Server manages those resources. The Management server presents web interfaces to end users and administrators that enable them to take actions on some or all of their instances in the IaaS cloud.
About Apache Software Foundation
The Apache Software Foundation, a US 501(3)(c) non-profit corporation, provides organizational, legal, and financial support for a broad range of over 140 open source software projects. The Foundation provides an established framework for intellectual property and financial contributions that simultaneously limits potential legal exposure for our project committers. Through a collaborative and meritocratic development process known as The Apache Way, Apache(tm) projects deliver enterprise-grade, freely available software products that attract large communities of users. The pragmatic Apache License makes it easy for all users, commercial and individual, to deploy Apache products.

For further info, contact [contact info]
==========PRESS RELEASE ENDS====================================

Kind Regards
Giles

Giles Sirett
CEO

giles.sirett@shapeblue.com<ma...@shapeblue.com> | www.shapeblue.com<http://www.shapeblue.com/> | Twitter:@shapeBlue<https://twitter.com/#!/shapeblue>

This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Shape Blue Ltd or related companies. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based upon its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this email in error. Shape Blue Ltd is a company incorporated in England & Wales. ShapeBlue Services India LLP is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue is a registered trademark.

Re: press release draft

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 01:10:49AM +0000, Mathias Mullins wrote:
> Chip,
>
> I'm in Aus right now and can do that overnight US time, to have it read
> for in the morning for review. Then you, Joe, Giles and Sally can do final
> spit and polish.
>
> That work?

Yup - Thanks Matt!

Re: press release draft

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 08:20:29PM -0500, Joe Brockmeier wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 20, 2013, at 08:07 PM, Chip Childers wrote:
> > OK, so we need someone to:
> >
> > 1) US-ify it (technical term for swapping s's and z's around)
> > 2) Do a quick copy / formatting edit pass to clean up whitespaces, AP
> > style review (including name swap)
> > 3) One last version sent to this list - I've got my name all over it, so I want to agree to the final please!
> > 4) Ping Sally so she knows that the final doc is ready to roll
> >
> > Fair?  Giles asked for help doing the US-ification.  Takers?
>
> Wasn't that the draft I just sent? :-)

Arg - yes.  And it looks good to me.  I guess we're set.

Re: press release draft

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net>.
On Wed, Mar 20, 2013, at 08:07 PM, Chip Childers wrote:
> OK, so we need someone to:
>
> 1) US-ify it (technical term for swapping s's and z's around)
> 2) Do a quick copy / formatting edit pass to clean up whitespaces, AP
> style review (including name swap)
> 3) One last version sent to this list - I've got my name all over it, so I want to agree to the final please!
> 4) Ping Sally so she knows that the final doc is ready to roll
>
> Fair?  Giles asked for help doing the US-ification.  Takers?

Wasn't that the draft I just sent? :-)

Best,

jzb
--
Joe Brockmeier
jzb@zonker.net

Re: press release draft

Posted by Mathias Mullins <ma...@citrix.com>.
Chip,

I'm in Aus right now and can do that overnight US time, to have it read
for in the morning for review. Then you, Joe, Giles and Sally can do final
spit and polish.

That work?

Matt

Re: press release draft

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

Re: press release draft

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 05:15:43PM -0500, Joe Brockmeier wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 20, 2013, at 05:08 PM, Giles Sirett wrote:
> > Joe
> > That looks near perfect.
> >
> > My only disagreement is referring to our beloved VP as "Childers". I did
> > this deliberately . I know That's the accepted way (I'm always "sirett"
> > on  our releases) but I think use of first name gives a much more
> > community feel.
>
> Community feel isn't relevant for a press release. Any release should
> follow AP Style, which is to reference people by last name on second and
> later references. I'm pretty sure that's the standard for all Apache
> releases.

Agreed - AP Style should be the guideline here.

Re: press release draft

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net>.
On Wed, Mar 20, 2013, at 05:08 PM, Giles Sirett wrote:
> Joe
> That looks near perfect.
>
> My only disagreement is referring to our beloved VP as "Childers". I did
> this deliberately . I know That's the accepted way (I'm always "sirett"
> on  our releases) but I think use of first name gives a much more
> community feel.

Community feel isn't relevant for a press release. Any release should
follow AP Style, which is to reference people by last name on second and
later references. I'm pretty sure that's the standard for all Apache
releases.

If we blog about this (we will) and so on - then I'd refer to Chip as
Chip. (If you notice, I do use that practice - referencing by first name
on second reference - in the weekly newsletters.)

Best,

jzb

Re: press release draft

Posted by Mathias Mullins <ma...@citrix.com>.
Giles,

Totally agree with you on the feel, but since this is an official
publication I agree with Joe on the "Childers" piece. Has to be the
formality of an actual press release. We came this far to be a TLP and
graduate, let's have the first official presentation show that as well.

Just my 2 cents,
Matt

Re: press release draft

Re: press release draft

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net>.
[...]

Formerly the product of Cloud.com, which was acquired by Citrix in 2011,

Re: press release draft

Posted by Mark Hinkle <Ma...@citrix.com>.
I think this is a good press release and would only add the following so when it syndicates through news sites I have had better luck with a title and then subtitle with the details so when it lists in news feeds the news doesn't get truncated and the subtitle becomes the description.

Title: CloudStack Open Source Cloud Computing Platform Becomes an Apache Top Level Project
Subtitle: The Apache Software Foundation announces CloudStack has successfully graduated from the ASF Incubator.

By adding open source and cloud computing in the title I guarantee you'll get better pickup from the communities interested in those topics. Just my two cents. Sorry for weighing in late but was out on some vacation.

Regards, Mark

Re: press release draft

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

Re: press release draft

Posted by Mathias Mullins <ma...@citrix.com>.
Great work on this Giles, Had just a couple quick notes
Matt

On 3/21/13 7:01 AM, "Giles Sirett" <gi...@shapeblue.com> wrote:

>Draft number 3
>Revisions from version 2 are:
>
>Chip: ..... reorder building a community and governance
>Chip: I've added in some further stuff about new members & warm welcomes.
>Any more and we'll be promising to hug new contributors
>Matt: around Citrix donation
>

>Things I didn't revise (and why)
>
>Chip -havent added location & date, will let Sally handle/control
>Matt -language is still UK. I'm not the best person to "translate".  Can
>somebody in US run it through your spellchecker and correct where
>necessary ? - or maybe Sally is happy to do this (if this is only a draft)
>Matt: your first comment arose because a CRLF hadn't copied over
>.
>

>==========PRESS RELEASE=================
>
>The Apache Software Foundation Announces Apache CloudStack Has Become A
>Top-Level  Project
>
>Mature, open source turn-key platform for delivering scalable,
>full-featured Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) clouds.
>
> [release location/date]
>The Apache Software Foundation (ASF), the all-volunteer developers,
>stewards, and incubators of nearly 150 open source projects and
>initiatives, announced today that Apache CloudStack has graduated from
>the Apache Incubator to become a Top-Level Project (TLP), signifying that
>the project's community and products have been well-governed under the
>ASF's meritocratic process and principles.

Should I be, "Apache CloudStack has graduated" or "Apache CloudStack
project has  graduated"? Aren't we still a project at this point? Same
question for the top.

>"When CloudStack first became an Apache Incubator project, it was  a
>well-established cloud management platform, so its codebase was already
>mature," said Chip Childers, Vice President of Apache CloudStack. "Our
>work in the Incubator has focused on growing a really strong community
>around the code and establishing the governance practices expected of a
>top level project within the Apache Software Foundation."
>
>Formerly the product of Cloud.com, which was acquired by Citrix in 2011,
>CloudStack was donated by Citrix to ASF and submitted to the Apache
>Incubator in April 2012.  It is a well-established  cloud management
>platform, already widely in production use by many organisations. It is
>used to deliver Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) cloud computing in
>both private-cloud, public and hybrid cloud environments. It has been
>proven to be both stable and highly scalable, underpinning production
>clouds more than 30,000 physical nodes, in geo-distributed environments.
>
>Asked to comment on the importance of becoming a Top-Level Project, Chip
>commented "CloudStack  had the advantage of having many long-term, large
>deployments which had proven the stability and scalability of the
>technology. This helped us concentrate on adopting the 'Apache way' of
>governance, which is well understood and open, delivering so many great
>pieces of software over the years"

Don't need the close quotes here since quotes are continuing to next
paragraph.

RE: press release draft

Re: press release draft

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.
On Mar 19, 2013, at 3:29 PM, Giles Sirett <gi...@shapeblue.com> wrote:

> Press release draft 2
>
> I've tried to incorporate  everybody's comments. I'm going offline now for 12 hours. As per Chips last post, if we're aiming for Monday, then I'll pick up all comments tomorrow and look at them all together. This will help me get the inevitable draft 3 together
>
> Writing a press release for a meritoric bunch of software developers who all seemed to  major in English - what could go wrong ?

I majored in electronics in France, so let me have a crack at it :) (don't you wish you would have doc track changes ;) )

> ========================PRESS RELEASE===========
>
> The Apache Software Foundation Announces Apache CloudStack Has Become A Top-Level  Project
> Mature, open source turn-key platform for delivering scalable, full-featured Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) clouds.

The Apache Software Foundation Announces that Apache CloudStack Has Become a Top-Level-Project (TLP). CloudStack is a mature, open-source, turn-key platform for delivering reliable, scalable, full-featured….

> [release location/date]
> The Apache Software Foundation (ASF), the all-volunteer developers, stewards, and incubators of nearly 150 open source projects and initiatives, announced today that Apache CloudStack has graduated from the Apache Incubator to become a Top-Level Project (TLP), signifying that the project's community and products have been well-governed under the ASF's meritocratic process and principles.

The Apache Software Foundation (ASF), the open source foundation for nearly 150 open source projects, announced today that….(TLP), signifying that CloudStack has grown into a self-sustaining and self-governed community of volunteers that embrace the Apache Way.

> "When CloudStack first became an Apache Incubator project, it was  a well-established cloud management platform, so its codebase was already mature," said Chip Childers, Vice President of Apache CloudStack. "Our work in the Incubator has focused on the governance of the project and building a really strong community around Apache CloudStack."
>
> Formerly the product of Cloud.com, which was acquired by Citrix in 2011, CloudStack was submitted to the Apache Incubator in April 2012. It is a well-established  cloud management platform, already widely in production use by many organisations. It is used to deliver Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) cloud computing in both private-cloud, public and hybrid cloud environments. It has been proven to be both stable and highly scalable, underpinning production clouds more than 30,000 physical nodes, in geo-distributed environments.

Created by cloud.com…CloudStack entered the Apache incubator in April 2012.

It is a well-established cloud mgt platform, already widely used in production by many organizations. It delivers ….
It has proven to be highly reliable and scalable while agnostic to hypervisor, networking and storage technologies. CloudStack underpins production clouds of more than 30,000 nodes across geographically distributed data-centers (quote/reference ?)

> Asked to comment on the importance of becoming a Top-Level Project, Chip
Childers
> commented "CloudStack  had the advantage of having many long-term, large deployments which had proven the stability and scalability of the technology. This helped us concentrate on adopting the 'Apache way' of governance, which is well understood and open, delivering so many great pieces of software over the years"
> "We know that Infrastructure -as-a-Service is the next generation of IT infrastructure and that people will demand open standards and open governance for such an important layer in their IT stack. That is why the CloudStack project meeting the rigorous standards of ASF governance is so significant. "
> When asked to comment on the Apache CloudStack community itself, Chip said: "we've managed to build a diverse, friendly and very open community around

collegial instead of friendly ?

> CloudStack. New members receive a really warm welcome and we make sure that all contributors  are on an equal footing, whether they are writing code or

Feels a little Kumbaya'ish :) maybe:

"We've built a diverse, collegial, open and highly skilled community around CloudStack. Both developers and operators are actively engaged in the project. All type of contributions are appreciated and considered on an equal footing. We have growing number of user groups around the world and we are planning our second collaboration conference"

> helping with any other aspect of the project. As well as online involvement,  we've already had a global collaboration conference and there are many CloudStack groups established in many different countries. "

> About Apache CloudStack
> Apache CloudStack is a complete software suite for creating Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) clouds. Target environments include service providers and
ACS is an open source software for creating…Traditional deployments include public clouds offered by service providers and private clouds within enterprises.
> enterprises. It is used widely  by service providers to set up an on-demand, elastic cloud computing services and by enterprises to set up a private cloud for use

an on-demand, elastic cloud computing service (no s)

> by their own employees. Apache CloudStack is also available to individuals and organizations that wish to study and implement an IaaS for personal,
a IaaS

Re: press release draft

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
I think this is missing some of my edits (specifically the ordering of
governance vs building a community in the first quote).  Can you
re-check the thread?

RE: press release draft

Posted by "Kelcey Damage (BT)" <ke...@backbonetechnology.com>.
This is looking much nicer in draft 2

-kd

Re: press release draft

Posted by Mathias Mullins <ma...@citrix.com>.

RE: press release draft

Re: press release draft

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

RE: press release draft

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

Re: press release draft

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net>.
On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 04:27:06PM +0000, Noah Slater wrote:
> > "community and products have been well-governed under the ASF's
> meritocratic process and principles"
>
> This strikes me as an awkward phrasing.

It's part of the standard Apache template, as far as I can tell.

That said, we could re-word:

"signifying that the CloudStack community has demonstrated the ability
to govern itself by following the ASF's meritocratic process and
principles."

Re: press release draft

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
> "community and products have been well-governed under the ASF's
meritocratic process and principles"

This strikes me as an awkward phrasing.

> "member of the projects’ Management Committee"

Chip will be the Chair, and this should be capitalised as Project
Management Committee.

> "its being governed the ‘Apache way’"

Missing word.

> "which is well understood and open, delivering so many great pieces of
software over the years"

This seems poorly worded.

--
NS

Re: press release draft

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 10:15:49AM -0500, Joe Brockmeier wrote:
> Thanks for running with this! Comments in-line.
>
> On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 01:10:30PM +0000, Giles Sirett wrote:
> >    The Apache Software Foundation announces that CloudStack has become a
> >    top-tier project
>
> The Apache Software Foundation Announces Apache CloudStack as a
> Top-Level Project
>
> (let's stick with prior heds and use "Apache CloudStack" rather than
> just CloudStack. And I suspect we'll have a TM following Apache
> CloudStack?)
>
> >    CloudStack, the well-established, production ready,  Cloud Management
> >    Platform today became an Apache Foundation (ASF)  Top-Level project,
> >    signifying the projects ability to self-govern and become part of the
> >    wider ASF community.
>
> This graf is mixing the dek and the lede - we should just have a dek
> here that follows the hed and gives some basic info about the project.
>
> Dek:
>
> Mature, open source turn-key platform for delivering scalable,
> full-featured Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) clouds.
>

> >    [release location/date]

Location is:
Forest Hill, MD

Re: press release draft

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net>.
On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 03:29:15PM +0000, Giles Sirett wrote:
> Good comments Joe
> The only thing I'd disagree with is shortening the "about". Journos
> (and certainly many online news feeds) wont be bothered going to look up
> further info: they will just re-write what they have in font of them. Its
> not a long release as it is, and if we start changing the About, we will
> have to create a sub-thread on that subject alone :-)

You're right about online news feeds, but journos usually will go to an
about page. (At least I always did.) If they won't follow a link, they
won't take the time to write from a press release either.

> In the interests of trying to get this out in a sensible timeframe,
> I'm going to wait a couple hours for more feedback before issuing another
> draft (should give the West coast folks time to get their coffee and
> have a look)

Seems reasonable. No sense in trying to revise every time someone from
the peanut gallery (like me...) chimes in. :-)

> I'll then take all comments in and create another draft

Fantastic, thanks for herding cats here.

Best,

jzb
--
Joe Brockmeier
http://dissociatedpress.net/

RE: press release draft

Re: press release draft

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net>.

Re: press release draft

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 9:10 AM, Giles Sirett
<gi...@shapeblue.com> wrote:

> Please shoot from the hip with feedback.
>

> Some Reading Notes first
>
> 1.       I’ve deliberately  mentioned Tomcat & Hadoop at beginning. Understand that some folks may feel that I shouldn’t select any  particular projects as examples, but I think it draws attention for readers who don’t really know about ASF
>
> 2.       I have emphasised governance, community & the fact that it was already mature code. That means, that actual software development has been de-emphasised.  I absolutely   know that there has been some great code written in the last 12 months, but I think it key to get over the message that it was already established.
>
> 3.       Chips comments are not Chips comments (yet) – they’re written by me and Chip hasn’t even seen them yet “Chip also said, I’ll buy the beers”
>
> 4.       Ignore formatting for the moment
>
> 5.       The last 2 sections are direct copy/paste from wiki
>
> 6.       Logistical questions:
>
> a.       Who releases this ?

Sally

> b.      Who is the point of contact at bottom?

Sally

> ========PRESS RELEASE STARTS=========================
>

> The Apache Software Foundation announces that CloudStack has become a top-tier project

top level not top tier.

> CloudStack, the well-established, production ready,  Cloud Management Platform today became an Apache Foundation (ASF)  Top-Level project, signifying the projects ability to self-govern and become part of the wider ASF community.

I'd add IaaS

> [release location/date]
>
> The Apache Software Foundation, the organisation  that governs Tomcat, Hadoop, and nealy 150 other open-source projects, today announced that Apache CloudStack  has graduated from the Apache Incubator to become a Top-Level Project (TLP), signifying that the Project’s community and products have been well-governed under the ASF's meritocratic process and principles.

I can't tell you why - but saying the ASF governs 150 projects rubs me
the wrong way. PMCs provide oversight and guid
s/nealy/nearly/
American organization :)

> CloudStack is a well established cloud management platform, already widely in production use by many organisations. It is used to deliver Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) cloud computing in both private, public and hybrid-cloud environments. It has been proven to be both stable and highly scalable, underpinning production clouds over 30,000 physical nodes, in geo-distributed environments.
>

> Asked to comment on the importance of becoming a Top-Level Project, Chip Childers, a member of the projects’ Management Committee said:

When this goes out, Chip will be the Vice President, Apache CloudStack.

> “When CloudStack first became an Apache Incubator project, it was  a well-established cloud management platform, so its codebase was already mature.  It also had the advantage of having many long-term, large deployments which had proven the stability and scalability of the technology. Due to this, our work through Apache incubation  has focussed initially on both the governance of the project and also building a really strong, open  community around it. The project is now available  under the Apache license and we’re proud that its being governed the ‘Apache way’, which is well understood and open, delivering so many great pieces of software over the years”

s/focussed/focused/