Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Nigel Peck - MIS Web Design <ni...@miswebdesign.com> on 2003/07/12 16:35:42 UTC

[users@httpd] graceful restart

I have been using "apachectl graceful" to restart httpd after adding virtual hosts for some time. I just checked the memory on the server and found too much memory being used (3M free). I checked the running processes and found a lot of instances of httpd running (approx 30).

I did a graceful restart, there were still the same amount.

I stopped the server, still the same amount (didn't count, there were probably a few less, but still there with server stopped).

I started the server and it seems like it tidied them up, there are now 9 running and free memory is back to expected level.

Is this the graceful restart leaving orphaned daemons or is nothing wrong and I'm misunderstanding something?

Apache: 1.3.27
OS: RedHat Linux 7.3

TIA

Nigel