Posted to dev@geode.apache.org by Jason Huynh <jh...@pivotal.io> on 2015/11/03 20:21:45 UTC

pdf of slides for Query and Index

Attached are the slides from todays talk.

Please feel free to continue to post questions on the user or dev list and
we will answer them as best as we can.

As a follow up to one of the questions about cluster sizing and indexes
that came up during todays talk:
Although each case will depend on the data itself, here are some things to
help keep in mind when calculating how much memory an index may take.  This
does not include any temporary objects/garbage created when executing a
query or created when initially creating the index.
Each index will also have additional overhead for managing the indexes per
region but that size should be very small.

Compact Functional Index:
1.)  Reference for every region entry
2.)  Size of extracted key
3.)  Internal data structures (ConcurrentHashSet) used per index key

Functional Index
1.)  Size of copy of value and extracted key per entry to form the tuple
2.)  Size of extracted key
3.)  Internal data structures per index key, tuple structure

Hash Index
1.)  Reference per entry
2.)  Internal array size

Map Index
1.)  Size of extracted key
2.)  Size of internal map
3.)  Sizes of Functional or Compact Index

Primary Key
1.)  Minor object creation

Thanks,
-Jason

Re: pdf of slides for Query and Index

Posted by Anthony Baker <ab...@pivotal.io>.
Great work Jason!

Side note:  OQL syntax can also be used to query a heap dump:

https://visualvm.java.net/oqlhelp.html

Anthony

Posted by Anthony Baker <ab...@pivotal.io>.
Great work Jason!

Posted by Jason Huynh <jh...@pivotal.io>.
Hi Wes,

I think Greg or Amy are the ones that put the videos together.  I am not
sure about the status...

-Jason

Posted by Wes Williams <ww...@pivotal.io>.
Hi Jason,