Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Chris Tucker <ch...@tuckerbrowns.freeserve.co.uk> on 2005/10/29 12:35:12 UTC

enable-auto-props does not work for svn:keywords

Hannes' post (msgno=35833) at last resolved the problems I was having in
getting keyword expansion to work. The worst part is that, as you tinker with
the config file, then with files already known to svn, then create & add a
new file, then tinker with the config file some more, you will get mystifying
results of e.g. one keyword being expanded whilst another in the same file is
ignored.

This behaviour (I mean, autoprops only taking effect at Add / Import) is so
different from the other vcs's I have used, that I think it needs to be very
clearly highlighted in documentation & FAQs.

Still, nice to know it wasn't a bug!

- C.
--
Internet email is not secure.
This message is confidential to the intended addressee(s)

Re: enable-auto-props does not work for svn:keywords

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Oct 29, 2005, at 14:35, Chris Tucker wrote:

> Hannes' post (msgno=35833) at last resolved the problems I was
> having in
> getting keyword expansion to work. The worst part is that, as you
> tinker with
> the config file, then with files already known to svn, then create
> & add a
> new file, then tinker with the config file some more, you will get
> mystifying
> results of e.g. one keyword being expanded whilst another in the
> same file is
> ignored.
>
> This behaviour (I mean, autoprops only taking effect at Add /
> Import) is so
> different from the other vcs's I have used, that I think it needs
> to be very
> clearly highlighted in documentation & FAQs.

The post he's referring to is here:

http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=users&msgNo=35833

The book does seem to spell out that this only works at add or import
time:

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/
svn.advanced.props.html#svn.advanced.props.auto

> Subversion also provides the auto-props feature, which allows you
> to create mappings of filename patterns to property names and
> values. These mappings are made in your runtime configuration area.
> They again affect adds and imports [...]

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/
svn.advanced.html#svn.advanced.confarea.opts.config

> enable-auto-props
> This instructs Subversion to automatically set properties on newly
> added or imported files. The default value is no, so set this to
> yes to enable Auto-props. The auto-props section of this file
> specifies which properties are to be set on which files.
If you have a specific suggestion for how the wording could be
improved, by all means, let's hear it.