Posted to dev@accumulo.apache.org by Mike Walch <mw...@apache.org> on 2016/10/06 18:17:39 UTC

Updates to Accumulo scripts for 2.0

Hi Everyone,

I started work on on simplifying the Accumulo scripts and configuration
files for the 2.0 release. Given that this change could impact many, I
wanted to solicit feedback early in the process. Below is the JIRA issue
for this work and a pull request with some initial code:

https://github.com/apache/accumulo/pull/160

While the code in the pull request works, it's not ready to be merged. I
plan to do more work on it. If you don't have a lot of time to review the
PR, I would read the updated INSTALL.md instructions and take a look at the
new scripts in 'bin' using links below:

https://github.com/mikewalch/accumulo/blob/accumulo-4490/INSTALL.md
https://github.com/mikewalch/accumulo/tree/accumulo-4490/assemble/bin

Many of the old scripts in 'bin' were moved a new 'scripts' directory but I
plan on simplifying or even removing them. In the future, I think scripts
in 'bin' should follow semantic versioning and those in 'scripts' should be
considered implementation and subject to change. Let me know what you
think.

-Mike

Re: Updates to Accumulo scripts for 2.0

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.
I hope to find the time tmrw; I do have some feedback. Thanks for putting
up these changes and starting the discussion, Mike!

Posted by Mike Walch <mw...@apache.org>.
I agree with Christopher in that any code that launches Accumulo in
containers or cgroups should be done by downstream projects (that rely on
the Accumulo binary tarball).  For example, I created a project called
Amara (https://github.com/mikewalch/amara) that launches Accumulo in
Marathon/Mesos. While these projects should live in their own repo, it may
make sense to move them to Apache as Accumulo contrib projects if they
become heavily used by the community.

On Thu, Oct 6, 2016 at 6:57 PM Christopher <ct...@apache.org> wrote:

I would strongly prefer we keep our scripts simple, to allow users to
easily wrap them in cgroups, containers, systemd units, etc. Besides,
cgroups don't even exist on all supported platforms. We should not be
baking in cgroups management into the scripts directly. The easier we make
Accumulo scripts, the more users will be able to build on them easily.

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jeff Kubina <je...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mike Miller <mi...@gmail.com>.
+1