Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by gwk <gi...@eyefi.nl> on 2009/08/27 14:04:21 UTC

Thanks

Hello,

Earlier this your our company decided to (finally :)) upgrade our
website to something a little faster/prettier/maintainable-er. After
some research we decided on using Solr and after indexing our data for
the first time and trying some manual queries we were all amazed at the
speed. This summer we started developing the new site and today we've
gone live.You can see the site running at http://www.mysecondhome.eu (I
don't mean to advertise, so feel free not to buy a house). I'd like to
thank the people here for their help with lifting me from Solr-ignorance
to Solr-seems-to-know-a-little-bit. We're running a nightly build of
Solr 1.4 with SOLR-1240 applied for the dynamic facet count updates when
using the sliders in the search screen.

Again, thank you and if you have any suggestions or questions regarding
our implementation, feel free to ask.

Regards,

gwk

RE: Thanks

Posted by Fuad Efendi <fu...@efendi.ca>.
Great site (fast from Canada), multilingual, hope you will get millions of
ads quickly and share your findings of SOLR faceting performance (don't
forget about SOLR HTTP-caching support!)
I am currently developing similar in Canada, http://www.casaGURU.com (and
hope to improve http://www.zoocasa.com)

Re: Thanks

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.
This looks great! Congratulations!

Feel free to add your site to the "Powered by Solr" page at
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/PublicServers

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 5:34 PM, gwk <gi...@eyefi.nl> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Earlier this your our company decided to (finally :)) upgrade our website
> to something a little faster/prettier/maintainable-er. After some research
> we decided on using Solr and after indexing our data for the first time and
> trying some manual queries we were all amazed at the speed. This summer we
> started developing the new site and today we've gone live.You can see the
> site running at http://www.mysecondhome.eu (I don't mean to advertise, so
> feel free not to buy a house). I'd like to thank the people here for their
> help with lifting me from Solr-ignorance to Solr-seems-to-know-a-little-bit.
> We're running a nightly build of Solr 1.4 with SOLR-1240 applied for the
> dynamic facet count updates when using the sliders in the search screen.
>
> Again, thank you and if you have any suggestions or questions regarding our
> implementation, feel free to ask.
>
> Regards,
>
> gwk

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

Re: Thanks

Posted by gwk <gi...@eyefi.nl>.
Dave Searle wrote:
> Hi Gwk,
>
> It's a nice clean site, easy to use and seems very fast, well done! How well does it do in regards to SEO though? I noticed there's a lot of ajax going on in the background to help speed things up for the user (love the sliders), but seems to be lacking structure for the search engines. I'm not sure if this is your intention or not, but you could massively increase the number of pages the crawlers see by extending your url rewrites to be a bit more static

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply, actually, we did think about SEO, turn off
javascript in your browser and you'll see the site still works (at
least, it's supposed to). We've added all AJAXy-interaction after we
implemented the functionality to work without Javascript. So you'll get
no nice fancy sliders but two drop-downs to select a range.

Regards,

gwk

RE: Thanks

Posted by Dave Searle <da...@magicalia.com>.
Hi Gwk,

It's a nice clean site, easy to use and seems very fast, well done! How well does it do in regards to SEO though? I noticed there's a lot of ajax going on in the background to help speed things up for the user (love the sliders), but seems to be lacking structure for the search engines. I'm not sure if this is your intention or not, but you could massively increase the number of pages the crawlers see by extending your url rewrites to be a bit more static

i.e.

http://www.mysecondhome.co.uk/search/country/France#/s?s=date_desc&p=1&t=object&ta=[]&pmin=0&pmax=%3E&country[]=France&apmin=0&apmax=%3E&samin=0&samax=%3E

could become:

http://www.mysecondhome.co.uk/search/country/France/region/Auvergne/minprice/200000/maxprice/30000/page/2