Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org> on 2016/02/19 23:23:56 UTC

[ide] Adding a m2e project configurator for the 'content-package' packaging type

Hi,

We have a patch contributed some time ago in SLING-3100 [1] which adds
a m2e configurator for the content-package packaging type.

What this means is that when a Maven project which is of type 'content-
package' is imported into Eclipse it's automatically configured as a
Sling content project, which removes a lot of frustration when users
import a project and it simply does not work :-)

My first reaction at that time was to put the patch on hold, since the
content-package packaging type is contributed by the
com.day.jcr.vault:content-package-maven-plugin, which is not open
source.

Thinking about this two years later, I am not sure whether that was
justified, since (1) the patch does not link to any kind of code which
is not Apache-2.0 friendly, but just makes a metadata entry related to
that plugin.

Also, (2) this would help a lot users that use the IDE tooling together
with the content-package-maven-plugin.

Keeping (1) in mind, is it acceptable from a legal POV to include this
patch?

Thanks,

Robert

[1]: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-3100

Re: [ide] Adding a m2e project configurator for the 'content-package' packaging type

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 2016-02-20 at 14:40 +0100, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> > Keeping (1) in mind, is it acceptable from a legal POV to include
> > this
> > patch?
> >
> Yes, I think there is nothing wrong here from a legal POV. In
> addition,
> this patch helps a large part of the Sling community.

Thanks for confirming, I'll take a look for the next release.

Robert

Re: [ide] Adding a m2e project configurator for the 'content-package' packaging type

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Robert Munteanu wrote
> Hi,
>
> We have a patch contributed some time ago in SLING-3100 [1] which adds
> a m2e configurator for the content-package packaging type.
>
> What this means is that when a Maven project which is of type 'content-
> package' is imported into Eclipse it's automatically configured as a
> Sling content project, which removes a lot of frustration when users
> import a project and it simply does not work :-)
>
> My first reaction at that time was to put the patch on hold, since the
> content-package packaging type is contributed by the
> com.day.jcr.vault:content-package-maven-plugin, which is not open
> source.
>
> Thinking about this two years later, I am not sure whether that was
> justified, since (1) the patch does not link to any kind of code which
> is not Apache-2.0 friendly, but just makes a metadata entry related to
> that plugin.
>
> Also, (2) this would help a lot users that use the IDE tooling together
> with the content-package-maven-plugin.
>
> Keeping (1) in mind, is it acceptable from a legal POV to include this
> patch?

Yes, I think there is nothing wrong here from a legal POV. In addition,
this patch helps a large part of the Sling community.

Regards
Carsten
--
Carsten Ziegeler