Posted to users@servicemix.apache.org by IMiletic <im...@gmail.com> on 2008/03/03 20:58:33 UTC

ServiceMix failure monitoring

Hi,

I'm designing a component that needs to monitor ServiceMix and report via
some network protocol (http, snmp, ...) if something goes wrong. I'm
specifically interested in situations when ServiceMix itself fails. Is there
any built-in mechanism that informs components by a message or fault if
ServiceMix stops working properly. If not, I'm thinking about the component
pinging itself, if it doesn't receive the message then something must not be
working...

Any thoughts or comments?

Thanks

Re: ServiceMix failure monitoring

Posted by IMiletic <im...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for your input, I'll look into pinging the JMX server. I want a JBI
component because making sure ServiceMix is running is only one of its
tasks. It will also accept messages from other JBI components when they
encounter a problem. Like I said, it will inform a remote computer about any
and all errors. I'm sort of upgrading an already existing solution that uses
JBI components for everything. I'm somewhat new to all of this, if you think
theres a better way of doing this please let me know.

Thanks

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
Usually, when playing with things related to monitoring in java, I tend
to think about JMX.  ServiceMix starts a JMX server, and just pinging it
should work.    Why would you want a JBI component for that ?
Just my 2 cents.

On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 8:58 PM, IMiletic <im...@gmail.com> wrote:

>  Hi,
>
>  I'm designing a component that needs to monitor ServiceMix and report via
>  some network protocol (http, snmp, ...) if something goes wrong. I'm
>  specifically interested in situations when ServiceMix itself fails. Is there
>  any built-in mechanism that informs components by a message or fault if
>  ServiceMix stops working properly. If not, I'm thinking about the component
>  pinging itself, if it doesn't receive the message then something must not be
>  working...
>
>  Any thoughts or comments?
>
>  Thanks
>  --