Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Keith Chew <ke...@jungledrum.co.nz> on 2002/01/31 22:25:41 UTC

avalon, james and failover...

Hi

I have a general question:

How do we implement failover in a java application?

For example, cases like:
- spool manager needs to perform jobs (ie dispatch requests)
- job scheduler needs to performs tasks
- servers need to send messages

When the program shutsdown or the PC goes down, we need another instance in
another PC to take over. I know in Resin they have a "smart" component
(mod_caucho) that knows about the servers. But in application servers like
JBoss, there's no such component, every instance works the same (I think).

Can someone point me in the right direction to look for documentation on:
- failover theory
- different techniques that can be used

or any other thoughts in this area.

I will contribute my findings to the group, so maybe James could incorporate
somekind of failover mechanism.

Keith

RE: avalon, james and failover...

Posted by Keith Chew <ke...@jungledrum.co.nz>.
Hi Eric

I am interested in option (2), but would like to know how to implement it.

I know Jboss is using multicast techniques and looking into Jini.

I am looking for a framework on top of these techniques, which I can use for
my application.

Say I am writing a Job Dispatcher server using Avalon and would like to add
failover and load sharing. It would be nice to have it incorporated into
avalon so that I can use it transparently.

So I guess it's really an Avalon area, but since failover involves data
distribution (eg server is suppose to dispatch a group of jobs, the other
instances must know this information), I don't think it's as transparent as
I would like.

I am just looking into this area, in hope to learn more about it and
hopefully contribute to the community.

Keep the thoughts coming in
Keith