Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Andre Reis <an...@gmail.com> on 2016/07/15 16:11:03 UTC

Avro Tutorial

Hello,

I was getting started with Avro (with Python 3.5) and I noticed your
tutorial code doesn't work.

Besides having a problem on the Python module, on the datafile.py file, on
the part where you check if the codec is valid (which I think has already
been fixed on your github, just not released yet), the tutorial code has
some parts who need fixing, like:
avro.schema.parse function does not exist, it is, instead,
avro.schema.Parse,
and on the same line, after the .read() function you must add .decode(),
otherwise you'll be getting bytes instead of a string, and it won't work.

Those are the basic errors that happen both on the reading and on the
writing part.

Would you want to fix this?

I'm not sure if this is the right email or place to ask this, but I can
send you my changes to the code, if you wish. If this isn't, please
redirect me somewhere else.

Thank you,
Andre

Re: Avro Tutorial

Posted by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hello Andre

Consider reaching out to the Apache Avro community directly.  You can
select from their lists here:
https://avro.apache.org/mailing_lists.html

Thanks
Joe

Re: Avro Tutorial

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.
Hello Andre,

you should ask this in the Avro user mailing list [1]. This is the Apache
community list.

Regards,
Benedikt

[1] https://avro.apache.org/mailing_lists.html#Users