Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Carlos Reategui <cr...@gmail.com> on 2013/10/09 22:24:16 UTC

Doc Updates

It seems like the only way that docs (
http://cloudstack.apache.org/docs/en-US/index.html) are updated is when a
release is done.  Is it not possible to have these updated otherwise?
 Waiting for the next patch release of the software so that the docs get
updated is causing problems with folks not being able to get CloudStack
installed properly and therefore gives them a bad impression of the
maturity of CloudStack.

It makes no sense to me why there are multiple versions of documents for
each of the point releases (currently there is 4.0.0, 4.0.1, 4.0.2, 4.1.0,
4.1.1 and 4.0.2 docs) when the feature set has not changed within each of
these.  I understand that the docs are built as part of the build and
release process but why does that have to impact the rate at which the
primary doc site is updated.  Can't the patch releases simply update the
release notes?  Personally I think there should be a single 4.x version of
the docs (I would be ok with a 4.0, 4.1 and 4.2 versions too if major
features are going to be added to them).  Maybe the doc site should have
wiki like capabilities so that it can be more easily maintained.

ok, I am done ranting...

Re: Doc Updates

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.
The docs have recently been moved into their main repo.

This potentially means that we are heading towards documentation releases on a different cycle than the code release.

We are not there yet but it's in the works, anyone interested and willing to contribute patches and ideas should register to the dev list and participate in [DOCS] threads.

-sebastien

Re: Doc Updates

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.

Re: Doc Updates

Posted by Harm Boertien <HB...@schubergphilis.com>.

Re: Doc Updates

Posted by Harm Boertien <HB...@schubergphilis.com>.

RE: Doc Updates

RE: Doc Updates

Re: Doc Updates

Posted by Prasanna Santhanam <ts...@apache.org>.
jenkins.buildacloud.org, most jobs that the project uses are on
buildacloud.org. It's fully under our control and I find it more
responsive than builds.a.o

--
Prasanna.,

------------------------
Powered by BigRock.com

Re: Doc Updates

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.
Agreed Darren,

Re: Doc Updates

Posted by Darren Shepherd <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: Doc Updates

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.

Re: Doc Updates

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.
Great rant Carlos,

Re: Doc Updates

Posted by Andrija Panic <an...@gmail.com>.
It would be nice, if there is an update on the Release Note section, for
upgrading procedure - since system VMs does not start after upgrade from
4.x to 4.2... I know there is bug documented, and should be fixed with
4.2.1.. ?

Best

--

Andrija Panić
--------------------------------------

Re: Doc Updates

Posted by Carlos Reategui <ca...@reategui.com>.

Re: Doc Updates

Posted by Carlos Reategui <ca...@reategui.com>.
Fred,
The updated doc I saw was this one:
http://cloudstack.apache.org/docs/en-US/Apache_CloudStack/4.2.0/html/Installation_Guide/index.html
If you look at this section:
http://cloudstack.apache.org/docs/en-US/Apache_CloudStack/4.2.0/html/Installation_Guide/management-server-install-flow.html#prepare-system-vm-template
You will see the updated templates.  Not sure what else changed.

Re: Doc Updates

Posted by Fred Messinger <fr...@gmail.com>.
David,

Re: Doc Updates

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Re: Doc Updates

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Re: Doc Updates

Posted by Travis Graham <tg...@tgraham.us>.

Re: Doc Updates

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
As you find these things, please create an issue in the JIRA.
At least there will be a record of what needs fixing.

The dispersion of effort and information between the docs and the wiki
needs some discussion.
To an outsider, the wiki seems to be a place that is used to compensate
for the deficiencies and errors in the manuals. That just makes it hard
to find the right information.

Ron

Re: Doc Updates

Posted by Fred Messinger <fr...@gmail.com>.