Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> on 2006/04/15 12:30:29 UTC

[FYI] GSoC 2006 announced!

Most of you have probably seen it already, Google has officially
announced Summer Of Code 2006: http://code.google.com/soc/

I'll probably suggest a project to expand the scope of automated
testing of our 2.1.x "workhorse branch".

-Bertrand

Re: [FYI] GSoC 2006 announced!

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@wyona.com>.
El dom, 16-04-2006 a las 11:05 +0200, Daniel Fagerstrom escribió:
> > Thoughts?
> An attribute template language for Cocoon would still be nice.

I am not sure about your definition of attribute template language but
you may want to have a look at the forrest dispatcher.
http://forrest.apache.org/docs_0_80/dispatcher.html
http://forrest.apache.org/docs_0_80/howto/howto-dispatcher-quickstart.html
http://forrest.apache.org/docs_0_80/howto/howto-structurer-dsl.html

salu2
--
Thorsten Scherler
COO Spain

Re: [FYI] GSoC 2006 announced!

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
El lun, 17-04-2006 a las 17:09 +0200, Daniel Fagerstrom escribió:
> The idea is to have a template language that can do about the same
> things as JXTG, but that uses attributes instead of elements as
> directives. The gain is that such a template language works better with
> visual tools as e.g. Dreamweaver. Zope and Tapestry have own attribute
> template languages. We had some discussions on cocoon-dev about
> implementing one for Cocoon some while ago:
> http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/AttributeTemplates.
>
> The Forrest dispatcher is a more high level concept IIUC.

Yes, because the aim of the dispatcher is to be a contract framework.
The structurer templates contain format independent expressions which
makes it possible for designer to quickly place different contracts for
different output formats - without worrying about the underlying
implementation of the contract.

No, because ATM we are using jx (just some) for the structurer templates
and some user feedback were that it would be nice to have something like
the wiki page describes. JXTG is not for designer, but the attribute
based variant as well only limited.

One thing that I did not like too much is that the syntax for variables
is mixed. First we use var and then ${}.
   Your cart is empty

Here we do not use something like in jx
<jx:if test="${cart.numberOfItems == 0}">
  Your cart is empty
</jx:if>

Later on we then use ${cart[i]/index}.

That makes it harder to follow.

Did somebody has started something like this yet.
I mean one can start with a simple transformer doing context()
and if(). Later on we extend this.

--
thorsten

"Together we stand, divided we fall!"
Hey you (Pink Floyd)

Re: [FYI] GSoC 2006 announced!

Posted by Daniel Fagerstrom <da...@nada.kth.se>.

Re: [FYI] GSoC 2006 announced!

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.

Re: [FYI] GSoC 2006 announced!

Posted by Daniel Fagerstrom <da...@nada.kth.se>.
Upayavira skrev:
> Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
>> Most of you have probably seen it already, Google has officially
>> announced Summer Of Code 2006: http://code.google.com/soc/
>>
>> I'll probably suggest a project to expand the scope of automated testing
>> of our 2.1.x "workhorse branch".
>
> That would be great, but what we _really_ need is help getting 2.2 (with
> or without OSGi) out. Are there chunks of work that are both interesting
> and challenging, but not too challenging, that could be made into Gsoc
> projects? That's what we really need to help move our project on.
>
> Maybe the creation of a sitemap servlet,
Too late ;)
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/trunk/core/cocoon-core/src/main/java/org/apache/cocoon/sitemap/SitemapServlet.java

> or a javascript servlet?
Yes

> Or a proposal for a pull pipeline servlet?
Not certain that pull pipelines should be introduced at the
servlet(=controller) level, rather an API that is used within a
controller. I'd like to see a number of example implementations on using
Axiom http://ws.apache.org/commons/axiom/index.html for server side AJAX
  handling. And also for more conventional publishing. We would also
need a pull pipeline based template implementation.

> Or some other block deployer code
We'd like to get something running in this area before rather than after
the summer.

> or something?
JMX for management of OSGi based Cocoon?

There are of course many things that needs to be done in the blocks
architecture. But much of it require detailed knowledge about internals
of current Cocoon core wich makes it to complicated as a GSOC project.

Re: [FYI] GSoC 2006 announced!

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.
Upayavira wrote:
> Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
>> Most of you have probably seen it already, Google has officially
>> announced Summer Of Code 2006: http://code.google.com/soc/
>>
>> I'll probably suggest a project to expand the scope of automated testing
>> of our 2.1.x "workhorse branch".
>
> That would be great, but what we _really_ need is help getting 2.2 (with
> or without OSGi) out. Are there chunks of work that are both interesting
> and challenging, but not too challenging, that could be made into Gsoc
> projects? That's what we really need to help move our project on.
>
> Maybe the creation of a sitemap servlet, or a javascript servlet? Or a
> proposal for a pull pipeline servlet? Or some other block deployer code
> or something?
>
> Thoughts?

e.g. reimplementing the CLI based on the new technology. I'd happily
mentor that project (something I'd like to do myself but won't have time).

Upayavira

Re: [FYI] GSoC 2006 announced!

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> Most of you have probably seen it already, Google has officially
> announced Summer Of Code 2006: http://code.google.com/soc/
>
> I'll probably suggest a project to expand the scope of automated testing
> of our 2.1.x "workhorse branch".

That would be great, but what we _really_ need is help getting 2.2 (with
or without OSGi) out. Are there chunks of work that are both interesting
and challenging, but not too challenging, that could be made into Gsoc
projects? That's what we really need to help move our project on.

Maybe the creation of a sitemap servlet, or a javascript servlet? Or a
proposal for a pull pipeline servlet? Or some other block deployer code
or something?

Thoughts?

Regards, Upayavira